Dead Body vs. Shell

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I'm guessing here as I don't keep them but poke it?

William said:
I'm guessing here as I don't keep them but poke it?
:rofl:

but really just tap it, if it moves then there's your answer.

But surely neither the dead shrimp nor the shrimp's moult will move if you poke it :huh: I don't keep shrimps either but I'm guessing that a moult will be a little transparent and a dead shrimp more solid looking. If you still can't tell give it a tap, if it doesn't move then poke it more firmly and the moult should cave in, a shrimp's body will be solid.

No, I was meaning that the shedded skin will simply be "crushed" where as the dead shrimp will be dead but solid.

William said:
No, I was meaning that the shedded skin will simply be "crushed" where as the dead shrimp will be dead but solid.
you took the words right out of my hands :rofl:

the shrimps old skin will be almost ghost like, igues if you have a ghost shrimp your out of luck :D anyway my old shrimp skin usually is bent in half it has a crease in it where the shrimp busted out of his skin. if your really worried just pull the skin out if it doesnt have anything it it it's skin if it 's got something in it it's a dead shrimp. :sick:

Did everybody suddenly forget science class? :p This is one of the topics they cover. The molt will look exactly like what it came off of. It will just be a little lighter, you might even be able to see through it a little. It won't move unless there's a current, and I read somewhere the eyes will be hollow. If it hasn't been disturbed, you might even be able to see the crack it molted from. I found a dead ghost shrimp in my tank this morning that I thought was a molt.

Okay, I think they're dead. First of all, I can only find one or two. And second, the dead body or molt of my ghost shrimp and amano shrimp is a light peachy pink color and it's not transparent. Why are they dying?? :-(

I bought ghost shrimp a few weeks back. Got 5, 3 had eggs. Fed on of the ones without eggs to jack (was moving too slow) immediately, the 3 with eggs died within a few days of dropping the eggs. Maybe after they drop their eggs they die?? Ghost shrimp don't seem to be very hardy. After only about 3 weeks, 4 died. They just seemed to slow down then die. They don't live for very long, 1 year I think, and the lfs probably sells them when they are adults. :dunno: If you find out please post.

dead shrimps = solid and WHITE they're no longer transparten when they're dead.

motls = transparent, thin

i've seen both unfortunately lol. when my ghost shrimp died it turned white :(

etierh way, both should be removed :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back