Dan's 450l Marine Tank...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

_daniel

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, I've been a bit of a lurker on these forums for a couple of months, gleaning bits of information here and there while I researched for my first fish-keeping experiment. So this is the result of my efforts so far:

IMG_0298copy.jpg

- 48x24x24 12mm glass tank. Internal glass weir with 4 drilled holes and fittings (2x25mm drain pipes and 2x18mm returns).
- 3 foot sump tank with wet-dry trickle filter. Includes rotating trickle arms (one on the end of each drain pipe) to spread water evenly across filter, thin mechanical filter material, heaps of bio-balls.
- Reef Octopus DNW-110 recirculating needle-wheel driven skimmer. Fed by 1000L/hr pump.
- 2x2300L/hr return pumps in sump compartment.
- 2x300W heaters (overkill I know, but redundancy never hurts)
- 1x2300L/hr pump in main tank supplying a closed-loop circulation systems that sits under a supported egg-crate platform.
- Light fitting with 2x150W MH, 2x54W T5 Actinic and 2xLED moonlights.
- Custom built pine cabinet.

I did a little bit of mucking around in terms of the hardware. Two of the spare outlets from my pumps proved a perfect fit for the sump return pipes. You can see how I have used them in the above photo to create some nice surface agitation. Combined with the angle fitting on the pipes themselves, I have a lot of flexibility here in terms of directing flow.

I also created the egg-crate reef-rack standing on short lengths of PVC and surround by a drape of shade-cloth to keep the gravel out.

Also, the drain pipes and weir were quite noisy when I first set up the tank. I fixed this by purchasing 2 in-line garden irrigation style taps for the drain pipes. These were placed near the trickle filter and have a three-fold effect on noise: 1. Effectively fills the drain pipes with water instead of a part-full flow, eliminating the gurgling, draining noise. 2. Eliminates the venturi sucking noise in the weir due to an increase water level. 3. The increased water level in the weir also reduces the fall distance for overflows from the display tank, reducing that noise also.

So then in went some "things":

- 20kg of coral sand.
- ~15kg of artificial rock. Seems to be pretty neat stuff made by a local store out of what appears to be shellgrit and coral sand fused together somehow and cured in the ocean for a couple of months. I've seen a few established tanks with this rock and it takes on a nice appearance and harbours a lot of life as it matures. They "claim" it has an optimal density of aerobic and anaerobic zones.
- ~500L of rainwater. I live in a semi-rural area and we collect our own rainwater. I tested for the common chemicals and nutrients, and made sure that the fixture I took it from had no copper lines.
- Aquasonic Ocean Nature sea salt, locally made product.

I ran the tank like this for about 5 days to stabilise Ph, S.G. and temp.

On the 6th day, in went 23kg of live rock. This particular rock came from North Queensland and had been in the store about 3-4 days before I purchased it. Based on this, plus its appearance and smell, I'm guessing that is mostly "un-cured" (althought it hasn't travelled overly far and shouldn't have been out of the ocean for longer than a day). When the live rock went in, I began dosing with Seachem's Stability. Here are my readings since set-up:

Day Date Temp (â￾°C) S.G. Ph Ammonia Nitrite Nitrate
0 Start-up 25 1.0230 8.2 0 0 0
1 18/08/2007 25 1.0240 8.3 0.2 0 0
2 19/08/2007 24 1.0235 8.3 0.5 0 0
3 20/08/2007 25 1.024 8.3 0.6 0 0
4 21/08/2007 25 1.024 8.3 1 0.15 0

Here are some close-up pics of the rock:

IMG_0293copy.jpg

IMG_0288copy.jpg

IMG_0289copy.jpg

In the third picture, you can see a small hole in center of the frame blockaded by a round shell. I have a small mantis shrimp in there that I will have to remove soon enough. Any tips?

Within minutes of placing the rock in the tank, I spotted many snails, worms and brittle stars throughout the tank. I am pretty happy with the rock, it seems like it has lots of good stuff growing on it. There are a heap of little zoo polyps on a few of the pieces. A couple of cool-looking dead coral skeletons as well.

I have a couple of queries. I am unsure exactly what ammonia, nitrite and nitrate readings I should be expecting. I was hoping that I would see ammonia dropping by now and that nitrites and nitrates would be building. Am I being impatient? Are my readings in-line with what is to be expected so far?

My skimmer seems to be working quite well. It produces a collection cup-full of brown bubbles and scum each day. Should I lower the water level in it so that scum build up is slower and more "dense"? ALSO, very handy hint for removing micro-bubbles from the skimmer outlet: Run the outlet water over some sort of flat surface. This is very effective in remove all of the tiny annoying bubbles that could make it back the display tank. In my case, I have simply directed the outlet pipe of the skimmer against the sump tank wall about 5-6 inches above the water surface.

I have also noticed a strange spider-silk like substance on a couple of my rocks. I have absolutely no idea what it is. Here are some pics of it. Is it normal??

IMG_0310copy.jpg

IMG_0309copy.jpg

So, from here my plans are:

- Wait for ammonia and nitrite to drop back to zero.
- Purchase some more artificial base rock and another ~25kg of live rock (I want to try to find some fully cured stuff of a different variety next time, just for a faster cycle and a bit of diversity)
- Purchase some artificial rock ball thingies made of the same material as my rock that have been seeded in an operational reef tank to add to my sump filter.
- Purchase a 15000L/hr Resun Wave Maker for the display tank.
- From there, move on to my first livestock.

Any and all comments/critisms are welcome!

sparkling water is what i used to rid my hitch hiking mantis.
your lr is awesome its like the pics lr retailers use in their adverts lol

Thank you. I think we are lucky in Australia, especially Queensland, being next to the worlds largest coral reef and all...

I have tried a fresh-water rinse and even squirting fresh water into his hole. I then suspended his rock above a bucket of salt water for a while. I'm scared of killing off the zoo polyps that live on this rock. I even resorted to an attempted stabbing off the shrimp, which he dodged, and then promptly responded by barracading his entrance. I will have to try the carbonated water approach.

Thank you. I think we are lucky in Australia, especially Queensland, being next to the worlds largest coral reef and all...

I have tried a fresh-water rinse and even squirting fresh water into his hole. I then suspended his rock above a bucket of salt water for a while. I'm scared of killing off the zoo polyps that live on this rock. I even resorted to an attempted stabbing off the shrimp, which he dodged, and then promptly responded by barracading his entrance. I will have to try the carbonated water approach.

yeh i was worried we had some shroomies on the rock they were fine after a few hours.

If the carbonation approach doesnt work, try the magnesium approach ;)... Saturate a 1gallon bucket with magnesium chloride or magnesium sulphate (epsom salts), usually 5 cups per gallon. Then dip the rock in there. The mantis (and other crustaceans/snails) will probably run screaming from the rock. Scoop him out with a bucket/cup (watch your fingers) and put him wherever you want.

Great lookin tank btw :)

The white stuff is a type of tunicate that will eventually get out-competed in lit areas of the tank and move under the rocks to darker areas. Be batient with the ammonia. Sounds like you have some curing to do, but it'll probably turn for the better anyday now. And as for the skimmer, you're "wet" skimming right now which IMO is great during cycling. Once the tank is settled down and livestock is added, you may want to go to thicker "dry" skimmate just for your own personal sanity of not having to clean the cup daily, but wet skimmate is not a bad thing.

Thanks for your replies everyone. I will let you know how my mantis battle goes on the weekend. I want to keep him alive and possibly set up a small pico tank or similar for him.

How much of a temperature fluctuation can I tolerate throughout the day? It's been coldy and windy the last couple of days, and the tank drops by 1 degree to 24 degrees C overnight. Is this ok?

Lovely looking tank you got there so clean and the LR is out of this world! Give a couple of months and it will be teaming with life. As for the cycle it should take about 20-30 days for the un-cured rock to fully cure and the last trace of Nitrite (NO2) to be converted into Nitrate (NO3). See graph pic:-

cycle_graph.jpg

I would be inclined to leave the tank as-long as possible so the anaerobic bacteria have time to get a foothold with some ‘food’ (NO3) in the tank. This way you’ll have an anaerobic bacterial buildup from the get go.

The temp fluctuation I would not worry about 1 degree will be fine.

Could I request some sump and equipment pics please?

Good luck with the tank and I'll be following the progress.

Lovely looking tank you got there so clean and the LR is out of this world! Give a couple of months and it will be teaming with life. As for the cycle it should take about 20-30 days for the un-cured rock to fully cure and the last trace of Nitrite (NO2) to be converted into Nitrate (NO3). See graph pic:-

cycle_graph.jpg

I would be inclined to leave the tank as-long as possible so the anaerobic bacteria have time to get a foothold with some ‘food’ (NO3) in the tank. This way you’ll have an anaerobic bacterial buildup from the get go.

The temp fluctuation I would not worry about 1 degree will be fine.

Could I request some sump and equipment pics please?

Good luck with the tank and I'll be following the progress.

Yeah, I will post some sump pics tomorrow.

I don't think my live rock is fully un-cured. It doesn't smell overly (i.e. it was open in my car for the hour drive home and I could barely smell it), it "looks" very alive, and it's caused a pretty minor spike in ammonia (only 1ppm after 4 days). Just curious, is that graph from a real tank? If so, can you give some more details on the rock/filter/set-up? I want to know some ballpark figures for what I should be expecting in terms of NH4, N02 and N03 levels during the cycle (I know it would vary alot between set-ups).

On a side note, I saw the ultimate piece of live rock today. The store owner described it as the best bit of rock he has ever seen. I'm going back on payday tomorrow and I might take it home with me.

The graph is from a book on Marine Aquariums I got from the library. I just inputted the figures into excel and used the graph function to create it. It’s for visualization than actual scientific analysis.

Yeah, that graph would be more indicitave of a tank with little beneficial bacteria in it. In saltwater systems where Live Rock is used (thus having lots of beneficial bacteria) the cycle is extremely condensed. In many cases the cycle takes a week or less, and sometimes never even happens. All depends on how much dieoff really.

Here's a bit of an update.

First up, sump pic as requested (sorry, it's difficult to take a good photo under there):

IMG_0314copy.jpg

Caught these two little buggers:

IMG_0334copy.jpg

IMG_0319copy.jpg

And spotted a whole rock covered in tiny feather dusters:

IMG_0317copy.jpg

Some previously un-opened zoa polyps opened up today. I also had a surprise find when I was staring at a rock and it split down the middle and opened up! It's a clam about 5cm in diameter. It's been there the whole time and I never noticed it. I'll get a pic up when I have a chance again.

Ammonia, nitrite and nitrate are all on the rise still. Hoping to see a drop of in ammonia soon. Next week I really hope I can install all the live rock and base rock that I plan to have in there. Stocking's still 3 weeks away at least I think.

Nice lookin tank Daniel. What are you planning on doing with that mantis shrimp? If you're planning on getting rid of it, and you live in the States, I'd be more than happy to take it off your hands ;)

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back