Damp/mould Caused By Fish Tank Condensation ?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PlumbersMerchant

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hello,

Just nicely bought a house (3 months ago) and to my 4 foot gourami community tank re-setup and all was going fine until the last few week. We have noticed mould/damp against a 2 walls in our house and loads of condensation on the windows. Has a bloke in to look at it and he said he thinks a factor could be down to my fish tank ?

Has anyone else ever had this type of problem? Would any kind soul have any ideas how to combat this if it is related to my tank as I REALLY don't wanna get rid of my pride and joy !

Cheers

Plumbers merchant

I can't see the damp being caused by your tank unless your water level is dropping massively every week.
I have several tanks, three are in my living room & I've never had condensation or damp, I'd look into other causes

I also wouldn't attribute this large an issue on one fish tank.  Tou don't mention if this tank is covered, and this is one reason why open-top aquaria can be a problem.  If the tank is covered, evaporation into the room is very minimal.  But the condensation that you see on the cover glass in the morning will tell you how much water would be getting into your structure without the cover, and this is quite a lot.  I have seven tanks in one room, what I call my fish room, and they are all well covered; I have never seen condensation on the windows, nor mould.

Byron.

Cheers or the feedback. I do have a lid on the tank, albeit not a very good one but none the less a lid. It's a 240 litre tank but with gravel and decorations etc probably 200 litres. I maybe lose 20 litres through evaporation per month. Must be an external source. Thank you for the advice/ help

Is the house newly built? We had terrible condensation problems when we first moved into our house. We ended up buying a dehumidifier and running it night and day for a few months. I didn't have a fish tank back then, so it wasn't caused by that.

Most reactions

trending

Back