Damn - Not Baby Shrimp

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Uberhoust

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I have only been keeping shrimp, blue diamonds, for a week and have very little experience with them. When I bought the shrimp there were a couple that were "berried". This evening I got all excited because I saw these very little swimming dots around the slice of cucumber I put out for the shrimp. Because there was a few of these dots I took about 30 minutes to capture one with an eyedropper. I put my baby shrimp under the microscope and was disappointed to only find a cyclopean copepod in the viewfinder. From what I read the shrimp larva are about 1mm long and so were copepods. I later found the two berried shrimp, their eggs have yet to hatch. Too bad :(, but at least the aquarium seems to be OK for crustaceans :).

20210323_191905.jpg

When I first got my RCS, what feels like forever ago, it took about a month for them to produce young. Even though I acclimated them as gently as possible (drip method, took about 1.5 hrs), inverts are a delicate lot and the two females already berried molted just a couple of days after I got them.

I hope you have little shrimp soon, though. They are so fun to watch swim around and watching them grow from colorless little specs into vibrant adult shrimp is so cool.

The thing in the picture is a female cyclops (copepod). The 2 "ears" at the end are egg sacks. They are fine and most fish eat them.

Blue diamond shrimps, like almost all shrimps, don't hatch to larvae, they hatch to miniature adults. Amano shrimps hatch to larvae, but they are the only ones I can think of at the moment.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back