Cycling

Coolysd

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey y'all. I've been following the forum's fishless cycling instructions since 7/16 and I have been unable to get past stage one. Ammonia looks between 3-4 and nitrites are still 0.
What am I doing wrong?

It normally takes around 4-6 weeks to cycle an aquarium and filter, sometimes longer. You can help speed things up by doing the following.

Don't let the ammonia level go above 5ppm and try to keep it around 3ppm.

Increase water temperature to 28-30C for the cycling period. This allows the beneficial bacteria to grow faster. After the tank has cycled you can reduce the temperature.

Make sure the pH remains around 7 ish (between 6.5-8.0).

Make sure the KH (carbonate hardness) remains above 80ppm during cycling. The beneficial bacteria use the carbonate hardness and if it runs out, the process can stall. If you think the process has stalled, do a 90-100% water change using dechlorinated water and see if it helps.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen in the water. The beneficial filter bacteria are aerobic (require oxygen) and like oxygen rich water.

Remove the cover from the aquarium so bacteria in the air can land on the water and start the cycling process.

Add a liquid filter bacteria supplement. I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week and then our the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

Make sure the filter does not have any Ammogon/ Zeolite in because this stuff removes ammonia from the water and stos the cycling process. Ammogon/ Zeolite is a white granulated substance that is sometimes put into filter pads/ cartridges by filter manufacturers.

edited to change GH to KH.

Last edited:
How long since you added dose #1? For me it took 21 days for nitrite to show up and ammonia to drop

Make sure the GH (general hardness) remains above 80ppm during cycling. The beneficial bacteria use the carbonate hardness and if it runs out, the process can stall.

Colin means KH, not GH. :) (I think)

How much ammonia have you added in total? Have you just added it once so far?
Test your nitrates. Ammonia can sometimes go straight through to nitrates without registering any nitrites. It’s unusual if you haven’t added the relevant bacteria, but a rise in nitrates tells you if the cycle is under way.

It normally takes around 4-6 weeks to cycle an aquarium and filter, sometimes longer. You can help speed things up by doing the following.

Don't let the ammonia level go above 5ppm and try to keep it around 3ppm.

Increase water temperature to 28-30C for the cycling period. This allows the beneficial bacteria to grow faster. After the tank has cycled you can reduce the temperature.

Make sure the pH remains around 7 ish (between 6.5-8.0).

Make sure the KH (carbonate hardness) remains above 80ppm during cycling. The beneficial bacteria use the carbonate hardness and if it runs out, the process can stall. If you think the process has stalled, do a 90-100% water change using dechlorinated water and see if it helps.

Increase aeration/ surface turbulence to maximise the oxygen in the water. The beneficial filter bacteria are aerobic (require oxygen) and like oxygen rich water.

Remove the cover from the aquarium so bacteria in the air can land on the water and start the cycling process.

Add a liquid filter bacteria supplement. I recommend adding a double dose every day for a week and then our the remaining contents into the tank. Try to add the supplement near the filter intake so it gets drawn into the filter where it belongs.

Make sure the filter does not have any Ammogon/ Zeolite in because this stuff removes ammonia from the water and stos the cycling process. Ammogon/ Zeolite is a white granulated substance that is sometimes put into filter pads/ cartridges by filter manufacturers.

edited to change GH to KH.
Thanks so much these tips. I raised the temp to 84 and uncovered the tank halfway. Don't wanna take it off completely only because my 4 month old kitten likes to jump up on it (he's in total terror mode these days, SO defiant lol).🤦🏼‍♀️ I'm going to do all the testing a little later today and will give an update.

How long since you added dose #1? For me it took 21 days for nitrite to show up and ammonia to drop
WOW really? Okay well that makes me feel a lil better. Thank you for sharing that! I added the first dose of ammonia July 16th. Patience has never been one of my virtues.

Colin means KH, not GH. :) (I think)

How much ammonia have you added in total? Have you just added it once so far?
Test your nitrates. Ammonia can sometimes go straight through to nitrates without registering any nitrites. It’s unusual if you haven’t added the relevant bacteria, but a rise in nitrates tells you if the cycle is under way.
Thanks for the info! Yes on July 16th is when we started. According to the API kit the ammonia was between 3-4. I have tried several different brands of bacteria in a bottle and none of them seemed to work. Unless I just didn't give it enough time (thank you Essjay). When I cycled my 5g it only took about 3 weeks to fully cycle. My 75g still hadn't cycled so I added the media from the 5g and finally started seeing nitrites. I do have 3 pieces of decor from established tanks. I was hoping it would kick start it. Sounds like I need to go hunt down my patience!! :fish::fish::fish:

Thanks for the info! Yes on July 16th is when we started. According to the API kit the ammonia was between 3-4. I have tried several different brands of bacteria in a bottle and none of them seemed to work. Unless I just didn't give it enough time (thank you Essjay). When I cycled my 5g it only took about 3 weeks to fully cycle. My 75g still hadn't cycled so I added the media from the 5g and finally started seeing nitrites. I do have 3 pieces of decor from established tanks. I was hoping it would kick start it. Sounds like I need to go hunt down my patience!! :fish::fish::fish:
Patience is one of my biggest weaknesses but fishkeeping really forces you to deal with it at some point!

Hey y'all. I've been following the forum's fishless cycling instructions since 7/16 and I have been unable to get past stage one. Ammonia looks between 3-4 and nitrites are still 0.
What am I doing wrong?
UPDATE:
Latest water parameters.
Amon 4, Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, PH 6.0, Temp 83.
From the info y'all have provided, I know the PH needs to increase. My question is... what's the best way to address this? Do I do a water change or do I add a PH chemical? My thought process is to wait for what y'all have to say before checking the KH & GH incase a water change is needed. I know the GH is going to be high because it's high in our water.
Thanks y'all!! :thanks:

If there's no fish (livestock) in the tank, you can add some sodium bicarbonate (available from any supermarket) to the tank to raise the pH and KH a bit. Be careful because it's strong stuff and you only need a bit. Mix 1/2 a level teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate into a glass of water. Let it dissolve and then add a little bit of the liquid to the tank. Check the pH an hour later and add more if required.

You can also add shells, limestone rock, or dead coral rubble to the tank. Add a small amount and monitor the pH over a few weeks. If the pH is still low, add more rock, shells or rubble and monitor. Continue adding and monitoring until you get the desired pH.

If there's no fish (livestock) in the tank, you can add some sodium bicarbonate (available from any supermarket) to the tank to raise the pH and KH a bit. Be careful because it's strong stuff and you only need a bit. Mix 1/2 a level teaspoon of sodium bicarbonate into a glass of water. Let it dissolve and then add a little bit of the liquid to the tank. Check the pH an hour later and add more if required.

You can also add shells, limestone rock, or dead coral rubble to the tank. Add a small amount and monitor the pH over a few weeks. If the pH is still low, add more rock, shells or rubble and monitor. Continue adding and monitoring until you get the desired pH.
Okay so I looked up "sodium bicarbonate" to find out it's just plain ole baking soda! o_O 😆 Right? Because I have plenty of that on hand lol. As always, thank you for the info!! Adding it now:thanks:

Baking soda can be pure sodium bicarbonate or might have other ingredients. If the packaging says sodium bicarb and nothing else, then you're good to go.

Baking soda should be sodium bicarbonate; baking powder contains other things as well. When you do the big water change once the cycle has finished, that removes all the baking soda.

It's KH which needs to be increased not GH. Two reasons - if there is little KH it gets used up and the pH drops as you have found. And the bacteria need inorganic carbon, ie carbonate, so if there is little in the water you need to add more.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back