Cycling...

fatheadminnow

Fish Aficionado
Joined
Jan 14, 2009
Messages
4,815
Reaction score
14
Points
38
Location
US
Many people may find cycling a tank a hassle, and a test for ones patience. As for me, I found cycling my tank a very rewarding and a knowledgeable process. I did a fish-in cycle, not knowing anything about fishless, as I did not find this forum until after I got fish. When I got the first reading for nitrite, I got so excited! Knowing that my tank is half way done and that I will be able to add more fish soon! After my tank was completely cycled, I felt a sense of accomplishment, knowing that I did this!

Some people do not like cycling, just because they want to get fish in their new tank as soon as possible, which is understandable.

However, I found that cycling a tank even further attached me to my tank and fish, knowing that this would not of happened without me.

I am just curious to hear from other people, and their side of the story about cycling? Did you find it enjoyable, or did you find it to be some what of a nuisance?

I also want to give a thanks to the admin/mods and all the members out there, for all of your support and help! I would of never of gotten a tank going, or if I did, it would not be pretty...lol.

So Thanks!

-FHM :good:
 
It\\\\\\\\\\\\\\\'s a learning curve :good:

Velorution%20-%20Fish%20bike.jpg
 
I'm a week into my cycle ... at first I enjoyed the testing of the water daily and stuff :) ... but now I just want it to be over with and for me to get some fishies in :P ... but I must say I feel better knowing I'm doing it the right way and not putting my fish under any unnecessary risk
 
I'm a week into my cycle ... at first I enjoyed the testing of the water daily and stuff :) ... but now I just want it to be over with and for me to get some fishies in :P ... but I must say I feel better knowing I'm doing it the right way and not putting my fish under any unnecessary risk

I know that feeling....just wait until its done...you will feel a lot better and be glad you did all that work to get to there! :good: And like you said, knowing that you are doing it the right way!

-FHM
 
):
I didn't do one, truthfully.
IN BOTH OF MY TANKS!
I was never educated about it, though my fish did live through it.
I learned the fishless cycle/ nitrogen cycle after doing a science fair project on it though.
:P I wouldn't last two weeks with a fishless cycle.
:@
 
i got to say, i got very upset when my water test results were not good...

But after planting up a bit, aquascaping, a month on, i had 2 biological filters running, and everything was perfect ;)

well worth the wait, you get a great sense of achievement :)
 
The cylcing never nothered me though you always get that I wish it was up and running feeling.

My 240L has been cylcing for about 6-7 weeks now and is ready but don't have the time this weekend to set it up.

My big disappointment is the state of the tank, I thought it would make sense to put the gravel in at the begining and a few rocks. They are now covered in algae which I am having to work out how to clean. When I do the 90% water chage at the end then I will have to clean the tank thouroughly before planting. Will then give it another week before adding the starter fish which are currently housed in some of my other tanks.

If I did such a big tank again I think I would do it empty, my son has a 180L that we are waiting to have something fixed behind the wall it will go in front of before setting up and we will do it that way.

StatMan
 

Most reactions

Back
Top