Cycling tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Susielyd

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all,
This is just the best place - i have learned so much!
Today I purchased an ammonia test and a nitrIte test (i ran out of $$ for the nitrAte test, so I am hoping that one can wait...). I have tested my 6g tank which has been running for 8 days with 2 guppies and 3 platies. The am is 0.5 and so is the nitrIte.
Also I have a 2.5g tank who's last occupant departed this morning (after what I have learned on this site, really it is ok, because he must not have been a happy goldfish... :( ) Anyway, I have just checked and this tank must have been cycled as both the am and NO2 are 0. (yea! I did it and I didn't even know it!!!!)
So... the question here is, if I move the little ornament from the 2.5 to the 6g tank will it take the good bacteria with it, or will I still need to move some of the gravel?
After adding the good bacteria from the 2.5 to the 6, will I actually have a 6g cycled tank or will it take a few more days?
Thank you all so much for your help :)
Kind regards
Susan

Firstly, :hi: to the forums.

Yes, the ornament will bring good bacteria over :nod: . Bacteria will grow on any surfaces in the tank. Whether or not it will be enough, you can but try. Most likely it will take a few days, but it will certainly be much faster then normal.

And yes, the nitrate test kit can wait :)

P.T.

I would take some gravel too. There will be much more bateria on the gravel IMO. Just put it in a nylon sotcking and after about a week transfer it back to it's original tank!

Thanks Yvez,
I can do that. One question first though - I turned the filter off last night (12-14hrs ago), will the good bacteria still be alive?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back