Cycling tank, ready to add fish?

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Kris2005

Reaction score
I'm not new to the hobby but I have a question about cycling a betta/cory cat tank. I have a 20 gal tank that has been set up 2 days. I added driftwood to the tank for tannins. Plan to house a betta and cory cats. I have a well established tank ( 5 years old) that I added an extra filter to and ran alongside my main filter for 3 months. I plan to pop this filter and media into my new tank and add beneficial bacteria then and for the next two days. Do you think I'm good to go adding a betta and cories? Thanks!

You can do one of two things;
Add ammonia and see how quicly the tank clears the ammonia and nitrites.
Add a few fish at a time and keep testing the water daily doing a large water change if ammonia or nitrites appear.

You can do one of two things;
Add ammonia and see how quicly the tank clears the ammonia and nitrites.
Add a few fish at a time and keep testing the water daily doing a large water change if ammonia or nitrites appear.
Ok thank you!

If you plant the tank that will help as well. Floating plants are particularly useful for removing ammonia and bettas also appreciate them.

Thank you, I do have moss balls in the b bottom and hornwort floating.

He'll enjoy having hornwort; the stems will make a nice tangle for him to explore :)

He'll enjoy having hornwort; the stems will make a nice tangle for him to explore :)
I hope he likes his tank and plants etc. I'm like a little kid in a candy store when it comes to fish. Can't wait to get another one or ones. Lol. Already thinking of my next tank after this

Most reactions

Back