Cycling Question?

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
351
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I have just upgraded from a 27l tank to a Juwel Rio 180l, and have transferred my mature filter sponges into the new filter (amongst the new juwel sponges).

Since then my test results have been as follows....

24th June Nitrite between 0.1-0.3
Nitrate between 5-10
Ammonia 0.6

29th June Nitrite 0.1
Nitrate 5
Ammonia between 0.6-1.2

4th July Nitrite between 0.1-0.3
Nitrate between 5-10
Ammonia between 0.6-1.2

15th July Nitrite between 0.0-0.1
Nitrate between 5
Ammonia between 0.6-1.2

I've done a 20% Water Change after each test. Ph has been a constant 8.0

I'm assuming it means the new filter is still "acclimatising" an in time will mature.

Is it best to just leave the sponges as they are and continue as above until the Ammonia drops?

Thanks

ps Fish present are....

6 Black Ruby Barbs
6 Corys
2 Mollies
2 Platys
1 Endler
 
Yikes, I'd be changing the water more often than that. Ammonia at 1ppm is a lot. I'd be changing larger volumes of water every day until your filter can hack it enough to get on top of the ammonia completely.
 
Its closer to 0.6 than 1.2 but I was erring on the side of caution.

You've got me worried now. :-(
 
I'm assuming that you have fish in the tank atm (as you said you have "upgraded" the tank). If that is the case and you have transfered across all the media from the old tank , presuming that they were transfered without complication I wouldn't have thought you'd expect to see any rise in Ammonia, Nitrite levels as the bacteria on the media would be used to dealing with the current bioload (just as long as u haven't added any additional fish).

You are basically finding yourself in a "mini" fish in cycle and you should apply the normal fish in cycle rules. Regular testings and larger water changes if you get a reading above 0.25ppm on either the ammonia or nitrites.
 
ok thanks.

Yes the media and fish were transferred immediately from one tank to the other.
 
Now the tank is completely cycled and Ammonia is at 0. :D

When do you think it would be safe to remove the original sponges and replace with the Juwel Cirax media?
 
I've heard the number - 3month - for the new filter to be fully seeded, but I can't remember exactly. U could remove a portion of the old filter media (1/3rd) and add it back to the old tank with another 2/3rds of brand new filter media and then cycle the old tank in a fishless stylie?
 

Most reactions

Back
Top