Cycling After Fish Fail?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

TemStar

Reaction score
So I had a tank for about a month and 2 weeks ago I began testing the water. I saw that the nitrates were through the roof! So I had been doing water changes everyday of 20% and then eventually to 50%. After I saw no difference, I did an 80% and all the fish died, but anywho...

With a fishless tank, do I just need to let it sit for a couple weeks to finish cycling, or do I need to do any water changes or put anything in the tank?

Ch4rlie said:
Sorry to hear of your losses.

Have a read of this if you have not already done so....

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?/topic/421488-cycling-your-new-fresh-water-tank-read-this-first/

Was your tank cycled when you added the fish?
if not, then ammonia/nitrite poisoning is most likely cause of fish losses

What type of test kit are you using?
Liquid test kit or paper strip dip kit 

Would like to see readings for ph, ammonia, nitrite, nitrate if you have them.
Nu, it was in the process of cycling, and they died right after the water change..
And I use strips because I am a bum
nitrate = 20ppm
nitrite = 10.0+
ph = 120-180
no ammonia section :C

Was the water you added for the change the same temperature as the tank and dechlorinated? To me it sounds like shock is what killed them.

If you can, you should really make getting an ammonia testing kit a priority or at the very least look for an Ammonia Alert badge to hang in the tank, it will be much easier to see if you have an ammonia problem at a glance and will help give peace of mind. 

I am sorry to hear about your losses, but we all make mistakes. You will get better with time and experience and will be able to handle these situations more easily.

Doomchibi said:
Was the water you added for the change the same temperature as the tank and dechlorinated? To me it sounds like shock is what killed them.

If you can, you should really make getting an ammonia testing kit a priority or at the very least look for an Ammonia Alert badge to hang in the tank, it will be much easier to see if you have an ammonia problem at a glance and will help give peace of mind. 

I am sorry to hear about your losses, but we all make mistakes. You will get better with time and experience and will be able to handle these situations more easily.
Tank chu.
While my tank is fishless, what can I do to cycle it faster?

Most reactions

Back