Cycled

iihay

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi,

Been fish in cycling for about 4-6 weeks and have had 0ppm for ammonia and nitrite for 4 days now, tested a couple of times a day. Does this mean it is 100% cycled now? No water changes for 3 days now after 2-3 times a day - Hurrah.

Iain

you will have to get some fish or ammonia in there fast, you arent really supposed to leave the bacteria with no 'food' for more than a day.

EDIT: Water changes? I didnt think they were needed in a fishless cycle.

If you are cycling with fish then the answer is yes and no. Yes your filter can now cope with the waste produced by your current fish stock but no you have not finished cycling yet. You now need to add your next school of small fish or 1 / 2 bigger fish and leave them for around 2 weeks (checking water stats and doing water changes when appropriate). Repeat until full stocked. This is why doing your cycle with fish takes longer than a fishless cycle.

:good:

If you are cycling with fish then the answer is yes and no. Yes your filter can now cope with the waste produced by your current fish stock but no you have not finished cycling yet. You now need to add your next school of small fish or 1 / 2 bigger fish and leave them for around 2 weeks (checking water stats and doing water changes when appropriate). Repeat until full stocked. This is why doing your cycle with fish takes longer than a fishless cycle.

:good:
Agreed. Just make sure you go slow and don't add more fish or bio-load that what you already have. The bacteria can double their quantity in about 24 hours so doubling the bio-load should only lead to a small mini cycle if even that. After you add new fish and go a week with 0 ammonia and nitrite again, you are ready for more until fully stocked.

you will have to get some fish or ammonia in there fast, you arent really supposed to leave the bacteria with no 'food' for more than a day.

If you read OP it says 'Fish In' cycle so all is in order. It is important that you understand a posted topic before offering advice :good:

If you read OP it says 'Fish In' cycle so all is in order. It is important that you understand a posted topic before offering advice :good:

Thanks all, appreciate the advice. There is so much information on here it is easy to get confused ;) Having discovered the fishless cycle too late I am very glad to have kept my levels down and my platys happy so far!

Cheers

Iain

Most reactions

trending

Back