Cycle Problem Help D:

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

`Peter

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey folks I have been fishless cycling for about 3 weeks now with ammonia. Had a little jumpstart with a little filter media and some gravel. Last week the nitrites finally dropped to 0 after being high for a couple of days and I now have nitrates.

Problem is my ammonia would not drop quick enough in 12 hours and kept hovering around 0.25ppm. Using a API test kit btw.

So today I did about a 70% waterchange with dechlorinated tap water and soonafter the water got cloudy like a bacteria bloom >.> Did I screw up my cycle? Should I do another water change or just continue dosing the ammonia to 2-3ppm?

Yup, the cloudiness should pass. It's likely a bacterial bloom and nothing to worry about, or if you have a substrate it's possible you disturbed it during your water change and lots of dirt particles are floating in the water. Either way, nothing to worry about, just carry on as you were and the cloudiness will sort itself out.

Aight thanks guys, should I keep doing water changes if the ammonia gets stalled at 0.25ppm or just let it settle on its own?

Maybe check your PH if stalling keeps happening. PH of high 7's or 8 seems to help things move. My stalls were linked to low PH and I ended up using bicarbonate of soda to raise PH during one fishless cycle and a net bag of crushed shells in another. Found it easier than repeated water changes. I followed advice on here and kept my temperature high during cycle (30 deg. I think).

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back