What's new

Cycle Complete!

Pet of the Month Starts Now!
FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 Click here to enter! 🐰

neriticzone

Reaction score
Hi all,
After about six weeks, the nitrogen cycle has completed in my 10 gallon tank!  I have charted the progress over time on a google spread sheet and I have made a nice little graph that shows what happened.  It took about 6 weeks to cycle.  Hopefully, any beginners like me can look at the graph and have an idea of what to expect. I followed the directions on the famous fishless cycling sticky, except I only added ammonia once every 2-3 days after it reached zero ppm.  Since I work in a lab, I was able grab a disposable plastic pipet that made it easy to dose the ammonia.  I used Ace industrial strength ammonia.    Side note:  the graph won't show the last date, but the cycle finished february 14.  

Do you also have nitrate levels recorded?
I took over a complete set up when I started so haven't had to do a cycle from scratch and only after joining the forum, did I realise how lucky I'd been!

Excellent news!

Now, do a huge wate change, as much water as possible, and off to your LFS!

Wotchagonnaget?

I didn't include nitrate levels because I only tested them sporadically.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but nitrate levels do not tell very much except that some sort of nitrite processing is occurring.   

Congratulations!

It may be worth carrying on with the ammonia dosing for a few days yet, to make sure that it really does process it all in 12 hours, but that'll give you plenty of time to get you plants and decorations in before adding fish.
smile.png

neriticzone said:
I didn't include nitrate levels because I only tested them sporadically.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but nitrate levels do not tell very much except that some sort of nitrite processing is occurring.   

Exactly. NitrAte is the finished product in the chemical cycle you have just completed.
Always nice to see a succesful fishless cycle, and i would agree with Cezza...carry it on until the day before you get your first fish.

Terry.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back