Cyanobacteria AND staghorn algae...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

I use these in 4 tanks with LEds. As long as you have compatible connectors they should work https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X23FZS2/?tag=

I can't say for the Juwel but one of these tanks is a Fluval flex, one a Marina and another an AquaOne (the 4th has a Nicrew light), so it seems a fairly standard connector. FWIW none of my tanks run at 100% - the range is 40% - 70% established by trial and error to avoid algae.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I used to have a Juwel tank, back in the days when they fit t8 fluorescents. If one tube failed, the whole thing stopped working.

Looking at Juwel's website, they do a few different types of LED. The 'day' and 'nature' are MultiLux tubes which are not dimmable. But they also make NovoLux tubes which are dimmable, and you can buy a controller which allows a sunrise and sunset dimming phase, so the Nicrew controller may work with these.

As seangee says, please stop using the EasyCarbo. The chemical it contains is not good for fish.

Using floating plants will reduce the amount of light in the water but depending on what type of plants you already have, that may mean not enough light for them.

I use these in 4 tanks with LEds. As long as you have compatible connectors they should work https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07X23FZS2/?tag=

I can't say for the Juwel but one of these tanks is a Fluval flex, one a Marina and another an AquaOne (the 4th has a Nicrew light), so it seems a fairly standard connector. FWIW none of my tanks run at 100% - the range is 40% - 70% established by trial and error to avoid algae.
No the Juwel lights are not compatible with that dimmer. So we're back to how safe is it to turn the bulb over meaning the opaque side is facing the water and the bright side shines on the lid?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Normal household LED's can be mounted in fittings either way up so it never occurred to me that there might be an issue in flipping the tubes over and I have tried this myself without any problems occuring.
I only had BGA once and none if the recommended solutions worked for me until I found a proprietary cure (see attached picture) which worked a treat! I've never seen it on sale since though but I see that Easy Life do one called 'Blue Exit' so I would give that a go if it's available in France.

Actually the picture won't upload but it was called Aerocol No Blue Algae.

Normal household LED's can be mounted in fittings either way up so it never occurred to me that there might be an issue in flipping the tubes over and I have tried this myself without any problems occurring
:thumbs: So this may be a way of reducing the intensity without spending money on a new light.
Avel could also try not using the fertilisers until the cyano has gone.

Hello,
@seangee @Naughts I removed the 9,000°k and replaced it with another 6,500°k. I also water changed 25% with osmosis water. Not easy these days to out for shopping as I live in a 6:00 p.m. curfewed highly covided area ?
@Essjay thanks for "aquarist".

Edit : no NH3, no NH4. EasyCarbo was only half dose. I stopped all fertilisers until further notice.

I'll keep you updated.

Last edited:
Hello,
As promised there's some (good) news :D I succeeded in getting rid of cyanobacteria and staghorn algae by renewing water 4 times and making dome little change in lighting : 10h½ instead of 11h½ and the addition of a dimmer.
Thank you very much for your help ???

Edit : I forgot to mention that I removed "cyanobacteried" parts by siphoning it off and adding lump sugar in holes.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back