Cyanobacteria AND staghorn algae...

Avel1896

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
Hello :)

My Juwel Rio 180 (100x40x50), well planted, filled 50% with osmosis water and 50% with tap water since 10 October 2020. Nitrogen cycle done. Lighting 11 hours a day, LEDs twice 23 watts (1 LED day, 1 LED nature), respectively 9,000 kelvins and 6,500 kelvins and provide 5290 lumens. I didn't find the P.A.R.. Bioflow Filter M 600 litres per hour. I add liquid fertiliser every day (weekly dose ÷ 7) EasyLife ProFito, EasyLife Carbo, and put a JBL ball to every planted plants.
pH 7.2
GH 6
KH 4
NO2 0.01 mg/l
NO3 1 mg/l
PO4 0 mg/l
Iron 0 mg/l not this reliable as it measures one kind of iron
K 8 mg/l
Mg 1 mg/l
CO2 10 mg/l
Temp 26°C
Inhabitants (should I say dwellers?) : Carnegiella strigata 8, Inpaichthys kerri 15, Corydoras acrensis 15, Atyopsis moluccensis shrimp 5, Nerite 3, Melanoide 10, Clithon 7 and pink Planorbidae 7.
Having said that, I am confronted with a start of cyanobacteria AND staghorn algae and I feel totally... lost! Is there anything I can do to get rid of these plagues?

Attachments

• cyano+ccerf.jpg
    cyano+ccerf.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 93
Erythromycin but it might also cause mini cycle. algae eaters dont eat bluegreen because its toxic

Erythromycin but it might also cause mini cycle. algae eaters dont eat bluegreen because its toxic
Hi, Erythromycin is an antibiotic useful against cyano or staghorn ? Harmless to inhabitants ?

Hi, Erythromycin is an antibiotic useful against cyano or staghorn ? Harmless to inhabitants ?
Erythromycin is an anti-biotic that should only be used on known bacterial infections that have not responded to normal treatments. Improper use of anti-biotics has lead to drug resistant bacteria that kill people, animals, birds, reptiles and fish.

The Chemi-Clean apparently contains a type of Erythromycin.

We should not be using anti-biotics to treat blue green algae (bga) unless there is no other option.

-------------------
Thing you can do to control Cyanobacter bacteria (bga).
Reduce the amount of food going into the tank, especially dry food.
Increase water changes and gravel cleaning to remove nutrients and the bga.
Increase water movement and surface turbulence.
If you have old lights above the tank, replace the globes. Bga loves red light (3000-4500K) so try to use globes with a 6500K (K is for Kelvin) rating.

Thanks. According to the article, I have to check ammonia and treat with hydrogen-peroxyde at a rate of 1.5 ml per 4 litres meaning 300 ml for gross volume (200 l) or 240 ml for usable volume 160 liters ? I don't want to kill any of my inhabitants !
If it works, increase NO3 level up to.... 10 mg/l ?

What to do against staghorn ?

Thanks. According to the article, I have to check ammonia and treat with hydrogen-peroxyde at a rate of 1.5 ml per 4 litres meaning 300 ml for gross volume (200 l) or 240 ml for usable volume 160 liters ? I don't want to kill any of my inhabitants !
If it works, increase NO3 level up to.... 10 mg/l ?

What to do against staghorn ?
just do it and remove movable living things
and then water change it out

Using chemicals on algae and cyano is, at best, a temporary fix. You have to correct the imbalance of light and nutrients that allows the algae and cyano to thrive, otherwise it will return. See Colins post #5.

@Avel1896 Can you get antibiotics without a prescription in France? I know that the rules are different in different countries even within the EU.

Hi @Essjay in France evry single antibiotic needs a prescription. But as our family doctor is a tropical fish lover He would make it if necessary ;)
How do you say "a q u a r i o p h i l e" (it means fish tank lover with knowledge) in english ? Is it aquarist ?

The fact that you have both cyano and algae points to an imbalance. You will never be rid of it unless you fix this. Easy Life Carbo should not be used in a tank with livestock. It is gluteraldehyde which is a strong disinfectant and poisonous. It may also be a contributing factor. Most likely cause is too much light (too intense rather than too long a period). Are you able to try with just one LED - preferably the 6500K one?

Once you get the balance right the staghorn should die off and be easy to remove. You will still have to physically remove the cyano. If you do decide to use H2O2 remove the livestock as others suggest and the filter while treating and do a 100% water change before putting them back.

The fact that you have both cyano and algae points to an imbalance. You will never be rid of it unless you fix this. Easy Life Carbo should not be used in a tank with livestock. It is gluteraldehyde which is a strong disinfectant and poisonous. It may also be a contributing factor. Most likely cause is too much light (too intense rather than too long a period). Are you able to try with just one LED - preferably the 6500K one?

Once you get the balance right the staghorn should die off and be easy to remove. You will still have to physically remove the cyano. If you do decide to use H2O2 remove the livestock as others suggest and the filter while treating and do a 100% water change before putting them back.
The Juwel light fitting only works if both bulbs are in. It is not compatible with a dimmer. The only way I have found to reduce the intensity is to turn the daylight bulb over/ upside down. I don't know if this is very safe though. Thoughts @seangee ?

How do you say "a q u a r i o p h i l e" (it means fish tank lover with knowledge) in english ? Is it aquarist ?
It's not an exact translation. Aquarist means someone who keep fish. The 'phile' part of aquariophile suggests someone who loves fish. An aquarist doesn't necessarily love fish, but most people who are aquarists do love fish.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back