Cuttlebone for nerite and ph

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ch0le

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I have a 20 gal tall with 6 Bleeding Heart Tetras, 6 Emerald Corys, and 2 Nerite snails. I have soft water and my ph generally stays at about 7.0. I have lots of plants as well. I am wondering if it would be safe to add a cuttlebone for the snails or if I even have to? My gh is 30 and kh is 40.

Is your GH 30ppm?
If yes, then this is very low (soft water) and there probably isn't enough minerals for a nerite snail.

You can add limestone, shells, dead coral skeleton or coral rubble to the tank and it will add a bit of calcium to the water, but it will push your pH up and that isn't what you want with tetras and Cories.

Cuttlebone is made from the same stuff (calcium carbonate) as limestone, shells and coral.

You could add a small amount of Rift Lake water conditioner, but that will also raise the pH.

I would probably leave it and see how the snail goes. Most snails are fine in soft water as long as the pH doesn't go below 7.0. If the pH does drop, the acids in the water dissolve the snail's shell.

Is your GH 30ppm?
If yes, then this is very low (soft water) and there probably isn't enough minerals for a nerite snail.

You can add limestone, shells, dead coral skeleton or coral rubble to the tank and it will add a bit of calcium to the water, but it will push your pH up and that isn't what you want with tetras and Cories.

Cuttlebone is made from the same stuff (calcium carbonate) as limestone, shells and coral.

You could add a small amount of Rift Lake water conditioner, but that will also raise the pH.

I would probably leave it and see how the snail goes. Most snails are fine in soft water as long as the pH doesn't go below 7.0. If the pH does drop, the acids in the water dissolve the snail's shell.
Thank you,Colin. Yes I do have very soft water. I wish I had done more research on the snails before I got them. I'll see if they like zuccini.

Is your GH 30ppm?

I forgot that you answered my question. I'm sorry. Do you think a cuttlebone would be a good compimise? Or do you think I should still wait on it?

What is your GH, 30ppm or 30dH (dGH)?
If your GH is 30ppm then it's probably too soft for the snail and you will need to add some form of calcium (eg: cuttlebone, limestone, shells).

If your GH is 30dH (dGH), then it is very hard and will be fine as is.

What is your GH, 30ppm or 30dH (dGH)?
If your GH is 30ppm then it's probably too soft for the snail and you will need to add some form of calcium (eg: cuttlebone, limestone, shells).
I used api rest strips. My GH read 30. I believe it is ppm. I want to help my snails but not hurt my fish.

If your GH is 30dH (dGH), then it is very hard and will be fine as is.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back