Cutter's Cichlid

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Waterloo Kid

Fish Addict
Reaction score
I've just bought a breeding pair of what was labelled in the shop as Cich. Cutteri. I believe the common name is the Cutter's Cichlid. Can anyone tell me the proper latin name for these as there seems to be any number of suggestions on the 'net.

Thanks,

WK

I Googled too and saw that page. Thanks anyway. There seem to be a lot of slightly different fish out there called Cutter's.
Anyway, mine are pale blue with 6 or seven black bars running vertically down their flanks. These are the breeding colours so they might be different in a few weeks.
I bought them whilst they were tending to wigglers and I was given the wigglers to go with them. Even after being separated for 4 hours in different bags (adults in one, fry in another) the parents took the fry back after being placed in a quarantine tank. Good parents!
Fry are doing well and are feeding on frozen baby brine shrimp (a rare find in a lfs and worth their weight in gold if you ask me!). The genuine article is being hatched as I type so they'll get their first taste of fresh food this evening. There are 70-100 fry and they are being kept in a small 25l tank on their own at the moment. In a few weeks I'll put the parents in the main tank and grow the fry on a bit. I'll probably sell the majority of the fry before I put the remainder in the main tank though. I don't have the room for that many fish!

WK

I Googled too and saw that page. Thanks anyway. There seem to be a lot of slightly different fish out there called Cutter's.
Anyway, mine are pale blue with 6 or seven black bars running vertically down their flanks. These are the breeding colours so they might be different in a few weeks.
I bought them whilst they were tending to wigglers and I was given the wigglers to go with them. Even after being separated for 4 hours in different bags (adults in one, fry in another) the parents took the fry back after being placed in a quarantine tank. Good parents!
Fry are doing well and are feeding on frozen baby brine shrimp (a rare find in a lfs and worth their weight in gold if you ask me!). The genuine article is being hatched as I type so they'll get their first taste of fresh food this evening. There are 70-100 fry and they are being kept in a small 25l tank on their own at the moment. In a few weeks I'll put the parents in the main tank and grow the fry on a bit. I'll probably sell the majority of the fry before I put the remainder in the main tank though. I don't have the room for that many fish!

WK

You woudlnt be selling any of the fry would you?

I will be getting rid of them eventually. I was thinking of store credit but if anyone wants any of the young they are welcome to come and collect them. I will not be able to arrange delivery though unfortunately. The fry are only 3 days free swimming so I will not be getting rid of them for a few weeks yet.
I think I overestimated the number of fry too. I guess there's more like 50. Apparently this is the first brood for this pair who are still rather young themselves.

WK

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back