Custom Aquarium controller - ‘ Malawi-Pi’

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Jamesthecat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi guys

Now I’m at a point when my new 5ft is setup and stable, I want to start building the bits I couldn’t afford to buy a few months ago.

The first one is my fancy Aquarium Controller. I’ve always love GHL Profilux’s and yearned for one for a very long time. If I had a marine tank then I would be able to justify the cost based on the functionality it brings. Using it on my Cichlid tank however just wouldn’t make use of all the modules – realistically Ill be using the heater controller, pH monitor and a power bar for scheduling of power heads etc.

So during my nightly internet browsing I came across a lot of people building controllers based on a Raspberry Pi – (Reef Pi). It looks cool but I’m not a fan of the dashboard they use (I’m a reporting analyst so it would niggle me).

After some research I worked out that I could cobble something together that gives me the functions I need, looks a lot cooler than Reef Pi and doesn’t cost the earth. As and when I need to add modules like dosing then I can do.

Thus the ’Malawi-Pi’ was born....

BA33E66A-4B08-4DE8-89BA-444F8619A1D9.png

The whole thing will be mounted inside my cabinet with a tablet on the door showing a live dashboard of the parameters. The Raspberry Pi will be controlling:
pH
Temperature
LED’s
Powerheads

So this thread will follow my exploits building and implementing it…

The shopping list :

Raspberry Pi 4 kit
Aluminium case for the R Pi
DS18B20 Digital Temp Probe
Atlas Scientific pH kit
Energenie 4 Gang RF Extension

Influx Data DB Server
x2 new powerheads
(All in around £200)

So the bits have been ordered today on Amazon!!!! and ill update with some build pics over the next few days
Below are a couple of images so you get the idea of what itll look like and ill replace them with the real thing as I go.

This is the sort of dashboard there will be :
12E6A7E3-AEFA-47F3-9EF3-1F22CCEBC9B6.png

A082697B-1333-46A8-86E5-1868AC2C2F88.jpeg

This is the inside the cabinet But I wont be having the Vortechs

This is the sort of custom app ill put on my IPad to connect to the R Pi and control things like powerheads / misc equipment

30272E78-7A76-4362-B01B-6EAED21D900A.jpeg

A 3D printed case, probe holders etc have all been ordered and I’m just waiting for a response to get a logo like the one below made up. No need for it at all - it just looks cool

• a90c3a47832988e492256d1cc2a0d7be_preview_featured.jpg
And all the Python code that runs everything will be stored here :

GitHub Malawi Pi

Hope you enjoy following this build thread- I’m looking forward to sharing it with you

James

Attachments

• D67C24D3-F599-42CB-BC92-00504B356E6A.png
    D67C24D3-F599-42CB-BC92-00504B356E6A.png
    5.3 KB · Views: 234
Last edited:
Hi guys

Now I’m at a point when my new 5ft is setup and stable, I want to start building the bits I couldn’t afford to buy a few months ago.

The first one is my fancy Aquarium Controller. I’ve always love GHL Profilux’s and yearned for one for a very long time. If I had a marine tank then I would be able to justify the cost based on the functionality it brings. Using it on my Cichlid tank however just wouldn’t make use of all the modules – realistically Ill be using the heater controller, pH monitor and a power bar for scheduling of power heads etc.

So during my nightly internet browsing I came across a lot of people building controllers based on a Raspberry Pi – (Reef Pi). It looks cool but I’m not a fan of the dashboard they use (I’m a reporting analyst so it would niggle me).

After some research I worked out that I could cobble something together that gives me the functions I need, looks a lot cooler than Reef Pi and doesn’t cost the earth. As and when I need to add modules like dosing then I can do.

Thus the ’Malawi Monitor’ was born....

The whole thing will be mounted inside my cabinet with a tablet on the door showing a live dashboard of the parameters. The Raspberry Pi will be controlling:
pH
Temperature
LED’s
Powerheads

So this thread will follow my exploits building and implementing it…

The shopping list :

Raspberry Pi 4 kit
Aluminium case for the R Pi
DS18B20 Digital Temp Probe
Atlas Scientific pH kit
Energenie 4 Gang RF Extension

Influx Data DB Server
x2 new powerheads
(All in around £200)

So the bits have been ordered today on Amazon!!!! and ill update with some build pics over the next few days
Below are a couple of images so you get the idea of what itll look like and ill replace them with the real thing as I go.

This is the sort of dashboard there will be :
View attachment 121722
View attachment 121723
This is the inside the cabinet But I wont be having the Vortechs

Hope you enjoy following this build thread- I’m looking forward to sharing it with you

James
Oh awesome! Was one thing to read about this in chat the other day, whole different ballpark now that I can see what you were discussing!

That's too cool.

Thanks, the main thing for me is buying a full on Profilux or Neptune would be a bit of a waste ATM and the Reef Pi is cool but i really don’t like the dashboard. All i do all day is play round on things like Azure and Influx so it should look pretty cool.

The whole control centre bit under the tank just stops the rats nest of about 15 extension cables ive currently got

If anyone is interested in having a stab themselves I‘ve made the following for fellow forum members :

1) An Amazon shopping list that covers 100% of the items you need.
2) A GitHub repository for the Python code
3) A login you can use and copy the various dashboard for the graphs and notifications

It looks like it’s coming in at under £200 for the full kit that gives you notfication for tasks, PH probe, Temp probe and controller and 10 socket control for your powerheads etc.

thanks
J

Started setting up the dashboard that will run on the iPad mounted on the cabinet -
It needs real data obviously but you get the idea of what sort of thing the iPad will be running
At first it will just be Temperature, PH and which sockets are powered o

But the end plan will show:
Temp & PH
Water Level & control of ATO
Sockets on/off
Lighting (where in daily schedule it is)

67FB9903-304E-4614-9AD1-2EEE9D0158FD.png

Last edited:
just a quick update as the build starts Thursday.

ive ordered the logo to be made from this electroluminescent place along with some EL strips.

Its hard to get an idea of what will look like but ive attached some pics of examples

So it will be the Malawi Pi logo but with a weird Tron effect

AC3CE5E1-8845-4513-A95C-5CAC6C98F311.png

3D956269-B191-4F48-8B04-C7C7703F358C.png

I am into computers(fixing/up grading) but never thought about computerizing my fish tanks. :cool:

I wish!

Heres a better example of what an electroluminescent sticker is:

It’ll be the Malawi Pi logo but all funky and glowy
1EEF570F-24DF-4B6A-9601-AA6023486475.png

9A0F8C61-70F7-41AC-A161-B5BBEC761336.jpeg

I have 3 electroluminescent signs on my train layout. Here is a couple of examples of a EL sign.
EB826898-1C5A-4091-81DA-F5D0724508EA.gif

2D155E51-676F-4124-B263-433C299E72B0.gif

Last edited:
Update 11th November 2020

Started getting everything ready for build of ’Malawi Pi’, lots of emails being bounced back and forth for quotes for custom labels, rocker panels etc.

Door and shelf removed - Trevor has assumed the position of foreman and is setting a very high standard for build quality whilst still expecting his half hourly cuddles.

40274DE0-CDA2-48C3-B829-AE8CD3DDBF30.jpeg

Added what will form the false wall and will be covered shortly in vinyl.
The observant among you will see the Furry Foreman‘s tail in the backg
round.

B3F40C62-AAB9-4536-B13E-ABFF75FE4354.jpeg

And finally attached some notes to show where the various equipment will be mounted.\

From the top there’s :

The R Pi
x2 Vortech Mp10’s

a 10 gang vertical ‘rack mounted’ PDU
a small oled display Showing anything i fancy from the RPi
The main iPad display that will be running the dashboard of the probes values (ph, temp) and the status of the PDU plugs

FD922C03-B0C8-4383-BD48-E985DDB70534.jpeg

To be continued...

12th November 2020

Cut out the panel and added the beading and neon tube round the outside

Mounted the Fluval controller and test ran the Influx server to output a dashboard to see how it all looks .

AC0DD8BA-15A6-444A-A6F9-1AE5B3612E83.jpeg
3EE9B51A-A280-49E6-A52D-127451796DD4.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back