Curry Recipes/favourites

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

dylema

Fishaholic
Reaction score
So yes any recipes you would like to share. I love more Indian style curries but I cook more Thai curries than anything. If you don't have a recipe just tell us what your favourite is.

I think my favourite is "Phad Pet" which loosely means something spicy in Thai and can really be anything but my Thai chef friend makes it with red curry paste, chicken, some coconut cream, snake beans, kaffir lime leaf, and Thai basil. I can't cook it as well but I am still learning.

I wouldnt go as far to say curry is Englands national dish!!! Roast beef is probably what we are more famous for.

As far as curries go i preffer mine on the more mild side, i like to be able to appreciate the flavours of the ingredients without having my tounge scorched, i usually go for a lamb Rogan gosh which is a tomato based curry sauce spiced with cumin, coriander and paprika, there are many variations but the basics are the same.

That sounds like a Thai green curry. Thai currys tend to be fairly simple dishes with a sauce made from coconut milk and whichever colour curry paste you fancy on the day, Thai curry paste comes in green, red and yellow with green being the hottest and yellow being the mildest and are basicly pounded chilies of that colour, fish sauce (nam pla), ginger, shallots and garlic, unless you can get hold of authentic Thai ingredients like galangal and kaffir lime leaves. Once you have your sauce just add whichever meat fish or vegetables you want.

unless you can get hold of authentic Thai ingredients like galangal and kaffir lime leaves

Luckily for me I have a kaffir lime tree and galangal is usually available in the market ( we have a great market in the city with loads of different foods from just about any nationality).

but the color was almost bright neon green

I have used a bought curry paste called Green Marsala ('green spice mix' I guess ) which has lots of corriander (I think) which gives the colour (probably along with some artificial colour in the store bought product). This paste turned the potatoes bright green.

I've never really had a proper go at making curries, I know there's no way I can beat the ones from the local takeaway :p I like my curries creamy and coconutty, that's why kormas are the best by far.

I dont kno how to cook ot but ill got for the predictable chicken tikka masala its my favourite meal (tied with a sunday roast). And i think im right in saying its our national dish or favourite dish in england.

:lol: sorry no, fish and chips is traditionally served with tartar sauce which is made from mayonaise, diced gerkins and capers, or served with just a squeeze of fresh lemon juice on the fish and salt and malt vinegar on the chips.

I love the Tescoos Korma sauce cooked in with some diced chicken. Serve with plain boiled rice and a garlic and coriander naan bread. My favourite dish ever. Along with a tasty carbonara ;). Hmmm, i'm gna beg for korma tonigt :D :D

Bret

I can eat most curries but they have to have some heat such as a Vinders or Madras.
I love Thai green curry but one of the best i have had was about 20 years ago when i visited my brothers passing out parade in the army,now they made a stunning curry,not too hot mind because they had to cater for all. :good:

And if my memory serves me right it was the army that invented the curry back in the old colonial days when we ruled over India.A dish which i sorely miss. :(

king prawn madras, channa masalla, nan bread, bottle of beer, hhmmmmm - I am so hungry now (lunch time at work and no chance of this dish - sandwich again, just not the same.)

I also like thai yellow curry and most things my friend Jasvir brings in to work, here is a recipe she gave to me:

Chick Pea Curry - (serves 2 to 4 people)

2 onions – chopped
A little olive oil
2 tomatoes – chopped
2 green chillies
A little piece fresh ginger
A few cloves garlic
1 teaspoon turmeric
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
½ cup of water
2 potatoes - peeled and sliced
2 cans of chick peas, drained and rinsed
A little chopped coriander, as a garnish

Method –

1/ In a saucepan, on low heat, add a small amount of oil, when warm, add the onions and cook until lightly brown.
2/ Add the garlic and ginger.
3/ After a couple of minutes, add the tomatoes, green chillies and spices.
4/ Gently add the potatoes and chick peas, mix all together.
5/ Add the water and bring to the boil, then simmer.
6/ When cooked, turn off heat and add coriander for garnish, do not stir in.
7/ Serve with naan bread, yoghurt and red onion salad.

And if my memory serves me right it was the army that invented the curry back in the old colonial days when we ruled over India.A dish which i sorely miss.

I think you might find that the British used the word curry as a general description of Indian food or stews and brought the word and recipes back to the west with them. I belive that the Indian people had been making curries well before the British arrived and it was spices that took the British to India in the first place.

thick cut chips (fries to the rest of the world)

Its ok CFC we call them chips in Australia unless they are from an American fast food chain.

Thankf for the recipe moray I will give it a go. :good:

Your both right in a way. The Indians had been making spiced dishes for hundreds of years but their dishes tended to be quite dry with the spices rubbed into the meat or sprinkled over vegetable dishes. When the British arived and started the colonies they found this dry food not to their taste and demanded that the food be served with some kind of gravey, the Indian cooks not having much to work with stirred some yoghurt into the food to create a sauce and the modern day curry as we know it was born. The name curry comes from the traditional cooking vessel used in Indian dishes which is called a khari and looks like a large two handled wok.

Actually the national dish of England is Fish and chips, basicly white fish such as cod or haddock dipped in a thick batter (prefferably made with good english beer) and deep fried served with thick cut chips (fries to the rest of the world) and mushy peas.

http://www.woodlands-junior.kent.sch.uk/cu...od/takeaway.htm

This is not exactly conclusive proof that Englands national dish is fish + chips(although i do like a large cod and chips). if you google 'englands national dish' you will come up with different answers eg fish+chips, curry. But I remember on the news they mentioned that curry was the national dish, i remember this because i was suprised (I thought it would be beef or fish)

How can the cuisine of foreign nationals be the national dish of a country?

Curry was recently voted Britains favourite take away food and for the first time topped fish and chips as the nations favourite but it is most certainly not Britains national dish.

It would be like saying egg and chips had replaced paella as the national dish of Spain because of all the ex pat English living there now :lol:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back