Crystal Clear Water?

gaz gun man

Fish Addict
Joined
Mar 31, 2008
Messages
943
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Kent, UK
Have you got it?

I always seem to have little particules of, er 'stuff' floating around in my water

I have a canister filter and I have recently fitted a polishing pad, but it still dosent look clean enough.

I vacuum the gravel during water changes (20% a week)

I dont over feed either, yet I cant get the water crystal clear?

anyone else have (or had) this problem?
 
All my tanks are crystal clear and i only use sponge filters...

Dont know why your having this problem
 
People often say my water looks like mineral water. Although I do overfilter, I cycle around 7-8000ltrs/hour using 3 large external cans with a mix of either bioballs and pads or ceramics.

I think you need floss or something to catch small particals, and potentially over filter to a degree.
 
damnit what am I doing wrong then!

maybe its this brown algae...spores in the water?

my canister has sponges, 2 baskets of ceramic cyclinders, 1 bag of carbon and now the polishing pad
 
what size is your tank, what fish do you have, and how many, and what does your filter cycle?
 
People often say my water looks like mineral water. Although I do overfilter, I cycle around 7-8000ltrs/hour using 3 large external cans with a mix of either bioballs and pads or ceramics.

I think you need floss or something to catch small particals, and potentially over filter to a degree.


the filter is a fluval 205 which turns over nearly 700lph, so in my 125L tank (which is actual water volume, closer to 100L) 7x turn over.

what size is your tank, what fish do you have, and how many, and what does your filter cycle?


125L. 10 scissortail rasboras, 5 zebra danios, 6 sterbai cories, 2 pearl gourami. filter turns over 700lph.

never had any problems with my levels. nitrate stays a steady 40ppm
 
have you cleaned your media lately, maybe its clogged up ?? ( bit obvious i know)
mine are all crystal, but on jambos tank i have tonnes of floss in the filter. and havent changed it for ages either
 
should do the job, not sure why it isnt, the only help i could offer is maybe look at getting a 2nd can, fx5 are quite cheap and work very well, forget about the eheim arguments, I dont think you can get a better filter for the price, thats just my opinion, each to their own i guess though.
 
have you cleaned your media lately, maybe its clogged up ?? ( bit obvious i know)
mine are all crystal, but on jambos tank i have tonnes of floss in the filter. and havent changed it for ages either


yeah its done once a month. it was last done, umm 2 or 3 days ago when I added the polishing pad.

nozzles are also cleaned once every 2 or so months
 
should do the job, not sure why it isnt, the only help i could offer is maybe look at getting a 2nd can, fx5 are quite cheap and work very well, forget about the eheim arguments, I dont think you can get a better filter for the price, thats just my opinion, each to their own i guess though.


thanks, I dont think I have room in the cabinet for a fx5, its a pretty big filter!

I was considering getting a small internal filter and stuffing it full with polishing pads and trying that in the tank to see if it makes a difference. Wish I kept the int that came with the tank now!

My water is so clear, i can nearly see through it.


lol, :rolleyes:

things arent that bad!
 
If you want really Gin clear water then the only way to achive this is the periodiac use of a Diatomic Filter.
Regards
BigC
 

Most reactions

Back
Top