Cruel or not ??

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Brendanpat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all .Just wondering what people think about leaving guppy fry to fend for themselves in a community tank . I have my third batch on the way . Ive been collecting them and keeping them in a breeder net until they are big enough to not be somebody's lunch !

I’ve never kept guppies, but I don’t see it cruel. If your tank is overstocked, or soon to be overstocked, you definitely don’t want more fry. If some can survive and grow to be adults, that’s great. But if not, they can be someone’s lunch.

Its natural. Sucks for suckers like myself who get attached fast and wind up netting them out anyways, but its not cruel.

I don't intervene in any of my tanks. Since most of my fish are egg scatterers this means I get very few fry. When I kept guppies enough survived that I still used to take a large bucket full to the LFS on a regular basis.

For all I know they were sold / used as feeders :dunno:

It's not cruel at all. I stopped netting mine & still ended up with 14 more of different ages.

I think I'll just leave them at it like @seangee unless I take a fancy to a trying cory eggs.

I'll see how my first batch got on in the pet shop .I have 40 more nearly ready to sell him . If hes happy enough to keep taking them I'll keep bringing them up in the net for the first few weeks . If not I'll let them be ..:)

That’s good that he trusts you and it’s a small extra amount of $$.

Most LFS owners reply on their most trusted fish breeders, to prevent getting bad/infected fish. (At least the good ones do)

That’s good that he trusts you and it’s a small extra amount of $$.

Most LFS owners reply on their most trusted fish breeders, to prevent getting bad/infected fish. (At least the good ones do)
Yes he knows me a good while .he seemed more than happy to get them . He didn't have many guppies. They seem to be good hardy wee fish coming out of my guppy mammy . Havnt lost a single one ..:)

Most reactions

Back