Cruel or not ??

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Brendanpat

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hi all .Just wondering what people think about leaving guppy fry to fend for themselves in a community tank . I have my third batch on the way . Ive been collecting them and keeping them in a breeder net until they are big enough to not be somebody's lunch !

Iā€™ve never kept guppies, but I donā€™t see it cruel. If your tank is overstocked, or soon to be overstocked, you definitely donā€™t want more fry. If some can survive and grow to be adults, thatā€™s great. But if not, they can be someoneā€™s lunch.

Its natural. Sucks for suckers like myself who get attached fast and wind up netting them out anyways, but its not cruel.

I don't intervene in any of my tanks. Since most of my fish are egg scatterers this means I get very few fry. When I kept guppies enough survived that I still used to take a large bucket full to the LFS on a regular basis.

For all I know they were sold / used as feeders :dunno:

It's not cruel at all. I stopped netting mine & still ended up with 14 more of different ages.

I think I'll just leave them at it like @seangee unless I take a fancy to a trying cory eggs.

I'll see how my first batch got on in the pet shop .I have 40 more nearly ready to sell him . If hes happy enough to keep taking them I'll keep bringing them up in the net for the first few weeks . If not I'll let them be ..:)

Thatā€™s good that he trusts you and itā€™s a small extra amount of $$.

Most LFS owners reply on their most trusted fish breeders, to prevent getting bad/infected fish. (At least the good ones do)

Thatā€™s good that he trusts you and itā€™s a small extra amount of $$.

Most LFS owners reply on their most trusted fish breeders, to prevent getting bad/infected fish. (At least the good ones do)
Yes he knows me a good while .he seemed more than happy to get them . He didn't have many guppies. They seem to be good hardy wee fish coming out of my guppy mammy . Havnt lost a single one ..:)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back