Cross Contamination

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

dazbud

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi all

advice and thoughts on my problem please?

I have two tanks, been set up for about 8 months. A 30L coldwater (2 small goldfish) and a 100L tropical (assorted community fish). Water stats are correct in both, plenty of real plants and my fish don't fight.

However, I keep experiencing flicking/rubbing in the tropical tank. Not all of the fish, but some of them sometimes.

[*]I seemed to cure it the first time with a course of Esha2000.
[*]Several weeks later I noticed white spot on one fish in the tropical tank. So I treated with Esha2000 again and Esha Exit.The ailing fish died but no more did.
[*]Tropical tank seemed to be in harmoney again.
[*]Several weeks after that, one of my goldfish in the cold water tank died, when I looked the other had white spot, so I treated that tank with Esha and the remaining one lived.
[*]Cold water tank restored to good health
[*]But now the fish in the tropical tank are flicking and rubbing again. I've also noticed a couple are hiding and at least one has stringy poo. There is no sign of white spot, but I'm thinking it must be bacterial or intestinal?

I'm puzzled as to why I keep getting these issues, when no new fish have been added and I have followed correct dosage of treatments in each tank (seemingly with positive results for a while).

The only explanation is that I have transferred the problem between tanks because I haven't been treating both tanks at the same time. I use the same bucket, net, syphon and glass scraper for both tanks. Although do them on different days. Is this possible that parasites or infections can live on damp equipment and be transferred?

Most reactions

Back