Creating a betta biotope

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

TheTenthDoctor

Fish Herder
Reaction score
I am going to create a betta biotope out of a 5 gallon tank. I am going to fill the tank 3/4 with water. At the bottom I am going to put dirt capped with sand, and then indian almond leaves, and some oak leaves. I am going to plant 1 amazon sword, and perhaps some partially emerged java moss as well as java fern. I am going to put water lettuce or frog bit on top, and have a large piece of drift wood as my center piece with some rocks. Any other suggestions?

Java fern is authentic to Southeast Asia but not Amazon sword - I would switch the sword for hygrophila, vallis, rotala or cryptocoryne.
Can't wait to see/ hear more!

You might want to rethink that dirt idea. There's a thread here about soil in aquariums and Byron gave some excellent advice. MTS recipe I think it's called.

I kinda remember that, he said something about boiling MTS. I could never boil them. Idkw but for some reason I always imagine myself being boiled :(

Java fern is authentic to Southeast Asia but not Amazon sword - I would switch the sword for hygrophila, vallis, rotala or cryptocoryne.
Can't wait to see/ hear more!

Ahh yes....I forgot about that. I will do java fern and java moss, and I have decided that I will do some anubias even tho it isn't exact

Btw @Back in the fold could you post a link to that discussion you were talking about
I don't know how to do that. The thread is called MTS recipe help. I wish I knew how to make the blue words that shoot you over somewhere else. I wish I could also do that so as to give proper credit to people who post good things. Instead I just type their name. Technology is the bane of my existence. And don't waste your time trying to tell me. I don't think I'd get it.

Are you going to put tannins from IAL in the water?

Sorry to reopen this thread but I found this super cool video.

From it I draw the conclusion I should do sand instead of gravel and that I should put dirt on the bottom

Most reactions

trending

Back