Crayfish Fry

khenghock

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Posted this in the member pictures section; thought I'd post this here too.. In case anybody misses it there. :)

Crayfish fry hanging on to mummy
crayfishfry1.jpg

crayfishfry2.jpg

They are sooo cute :p

Thanks! They are australian red claws.. I caught the mother from a local stream/river late last year :D

congrats
that would be cool to see
im considering gettin some crayfish
what you planning on doing with all them babys looks like theres alot there

Thanks all...

I find crayfish to have unique personalities, and I noticed with Australian red claw males is that they are rather aggresive, compared to females. I had one who would literally chase after my fingers(during cleaning) even though I purposely stayed out of its way :crazy:. But I guess it really depends on the individual cray. They really are escape artists though.. Better have a lid if you plan to have one; and some are really opportunistic predators. I once saw live a crayfish holding on to a zebra danio and was attempting to eat it alive! :crazy::crazy:

:D :D Anyway..

The fry/shrimplet that are in the pictures are just 2 or 3 days old. They are bigger now, around 2 weeks old.. and aren't attached to the mother anymore. There's noticably less of them now.. I wonder what happened to them.. So i seperated the mother.. Oh well.. :unsure: :unsure:

I plan to either release them back into where I first caught the mother, or sell to a LFS or just give away to friends... Have no plans of keeping them lol. Have too many tanks at my hands at the moment.. :p

Wow! fascinating! Very nice pics. :hyper:

How many babies are there in a single brood?? Do you call them shrimplets?? I read somewhere that some crays are cannibals. Congrats anyway. :lol:

i wouldnt release into the wild again, problems could occur.
personally i wouldnt have cought the mother in the first place, i like to leave the wild alone, and bought a captve bred crayfish instead, saying that, the shrimplets are cute and look ace, and the mother must be happy to have them all.
try selling to a lfs if they will take them, or give them to friends,
just promise me you wont sell to a restaraunt,

Some egg pics...

5 days to hatch
crayfisheggs5daystohatch.jpg

2 days to hatch
crayfisheggs2daystohatch.jpg

The thing about buying australian red claws from LFSes around here is that it most probably have come from a local river. There are people who catch and then sell to LFSes, a practice of which is bad as it'll deplete the crayfish population in certain areas. But then, I have to stress again that Australian Red Claws are not native to Malaysia, and to Penang, where I am at. 5 years ago, when I went mosquitofish and platy catching with my friends (just for fun and also as feeder fish), there wasn't even a single cray caught by us. We caught those fishes, as well as river shrimps; but no cray at all. Late last year, my friend went again to catch, just for fun, and to his surprise, caught a 3 inch cray. It was the beginning of endless trips to the river. All in all, we caught around 100 of them, and we never sold even one to an LFS. We gave some away, some released back and some just died. The thing is, in our trips, there wasnt any river shrimps caught by us anymore, and we've noticed an increase in snake population as well as decrease in platy population. I am not trying to justify my actions of catching those crays as, at the end of the day, who is to say that this is right or wrong? I'm just saying that they aren't native here in the first place. My guess is somebody bought a pair from an LFS, kept for a while, decided not fun to keep, and then just released it into the river.

Most reactions

trending

Back