Crap!

Esfa

Shrimpy Shrimp
Joined
Apr 20, 2007
Messages
2,585
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Andover
OH CRAP.

I was doing a water test on my 10gal and i knocked the nitrate solution over and the cap came off and it all poured into my tank! :crazy:

i did a 50% water change but all my fish are spazzing out... they're like flicking on the floor and gasping at the surface.
 
I'm not an expert in fish but you don't have another tank do you?!

I'm pretty sure moving them may be your only option. O_o;;;;
 
If you dont have another tank to move them to, I would quickly add some at temperature declorinated water to a large bucket/tub and net your fish into it. Then remove all the water from the tank, have a good clean up, before re-adding the fish. Not sure what nitrate solution would do to your bacteria in the filter though, hopefully someone with experience of this will be alone shortly.
 
I'm not an expert in fish but you don't have another tank do you?!

I'm pretty sure moving them may be your only option. O_o;;;;

nope, not got another one :(

the others have puffers, bichirs and baby shrimp in them. :crazy:

If you dont have another tank to move them to, I would quickly add some at temperature declorinated water to a large bucket/tub and net your fish into it. Then remove all the water from the tank, have a good clean up, before re-adding the fish. Not sure what nitrate solution would do to your bacteria in the filter though, hopefully someone with experience of this will be alone shortly.

ah good plan! brb
 
okay all in the bucket.

not looking good, they're all lying on their sides at the bottom and breathing heavily... :crazy:
 
I think now you just have to wait and hope they get better... I'm really not sure though.
 
Bugger is the word...make sure that they have enough bubbles in the bucket...I would hope that would help just in case their gills have been effected...
 
they're all back in the tank now with fresh water......

they're still gasping
 
Ive been trying to google to find out the effects of nitrate solution in a tank, but cant find anything yet, sorry.

Keep up some water changes over the next few days, maybe 50% in the morning and again in the evening if necessary, also keep a close eye on your water stats, apart from that I dont know what else to recommend.

I really hope they make it, good luck, keep us posted.
 
OH Esfa that is a nightmare, its like that though, we go to all the trouble of water changes/right foods/testing water etc just to go and nearly kill them by doing something really stupid and accidental.
Last night i was refilling my tank with 3 juniors in it and just left the syphon in thinking when the buckets empty the tank will be full but came down this morning to see the syphon must have come out the bucket and water had reversed syphoned from tank onto floor, there was about 1" water left that they were flaping in, no fatalitys but i could smell burning from the unsubmerged heater but luckily it still works
Hope your fish make it
regards Angel
 
Aww no :(

all fish but 2 corys are dead.

i feel like such an idiot. :angry: :angry:
 
Oh Im so sorry to hear that, I feel for you.

Is there anyone who can look after the two remaining cories for you? If you could, I would rehome them, strip down the tank, re-cycle it and start again. Have you managed to do any water tests?

Try not to beat yourself up too much, these things happen, it was an accident, in future do the tests away from the tank. I always fill my tubes up with tank water, then take them to the kitchen to add the drops, that way I know I cant do what happened to you.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top