Crack in new tank- please answer ASAP

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Well, we have some progress!

Bought JB clearweld today and got acrylic offcuts for free. Had to get the bigger epoxy though as the smaller ones were out of stock, good thing the acrylic was easy on the budget ;).

Will drain tank tonight and clean and patch tomorrow.
I do have a question though- one of the acrylic pieces is a rectangle with a square on the end (think of a really chubby L shape) and would cover the crack really nicely. HOWEVER, would this compromise the strength of the patch to have it non-rectangular? Much-more-informed-than-me project assistant says no, but just wanted to get some other opinions.

Will upload progress tomorrow. Once patched, I'll leave for 24 hours, then fill with water for a week. If it holds, it's time to cycle! (I know... it might explode... but at this rate I have high hopes that it won't :)).

Well, we have some progress!

Bought JB clearweld today and got acrylic offcuts for free. Had to get the bigger epoxy though as the smaller ones were out of stock, good thing the acrylic was easy on the budget ;).

Will drain tank tonight and clean and patch tomorrow.
I do have a question though- one of the acrylic pieces is a rectangle with a square on the end (think of a really chubby L shape) and would cover the crack really nicely. HOWEVER, would this compromise the strength of the patch to have it non-rectangular? Much-more-informed-than-me project assistant says no, but just wanted to get some other opinions.

Will upload progress tomorrow. Once patched, I'll leave for 24 hours, then fill with water for a week. If it holds, it's time to cycle! (I know... it might explode... but at this rate I have high hopes that it won't :)).

It makes no difference if the patch is rectangular or L-shape.
The patch will stop the leak or prevent the leak - if it hasnā€™t leaked yet, but I donā€™t think it will restore the structural integrity of the tank to the original un-cracked condition. It might, if the acrylic has similar strength / material properties as the glass, and patched on both sides of the glass.
Let's hope it'll be a successful repair. If not, a new 1.2m x 0.45m x 0.45m will set you back just under $200.

Well, we have progress! (Pt II)

Crack patched and tank cleaned (plenty of scratches, definitely not cracks but scratches, that will hopefully go invisible once filled with water). Patch applier (not me, Iā€™d definitely stuff it up) was a bit annoyed because of the air on edges, but was more a concern about looks rather than structural integrity and at this point IMO need for looks has gone out the window. Weā€™re waiting for 24hrs for epoxy to set, HOWEVER we also need to clean up the flaking paint on the stand to apply a new coat (any suggestions?) and get new wood to support tank, so wonā€™t be able to fill or cycle for probably another week. The waitā€˜s killing meā€¦ but at least I have time to plan my scape and stocking ;).

Iā€™m thinking of doing a plant cycle and have read the article, but donā€™t have a test kit. Would it be ok to add in lots of fast growing plants (Iā€˜m thinking frogbit and duckweed since I have it on hand) and established filter media, add some fish food, wait a week or two until growth is seen, then add in maybe a bunch of pond snails/one native guppy or swordtail that we have in our pond? I swear those things are literally invincibleā€¦ and if any signs of ill health whatsoever just put it back in pond? Or should I just wait for like a month and then transfer fish from current tank to big one? Also, with established filter media, do you squeeze out the water from a sponge filter into a tank, or just put the sponge into the tank? So many questionsā€¦

Also, there might be a new thread soon asking how on earth to work these filters the tank came with, Iā€™ve only ever had a built in filter and those things look SCARY.

Thanks a bunch!
PPJ ^_^

Also, TNG, what brand is that tank for? That seems like a pretty good dealā€¦

Attachments

• IMG_5989.jpeg
    IMG_5989.jpeg
    290.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Well, we have progress! (Pt II)

Crack patched and tank cleaned (plenty of scratches, definitely not cracks but scratches, that will hopefully go invisible once filled with water). Patch applier (not me, Iā€™d definitely stuff it up) was a bit annoyed because of the air on edges, but was more a concern about looks rather than structural integrity and at this point IMO need for looks has gone out the window. Weā€™re waiting for 24hrs for epoxy to set, HOWEVER we also need to clean up the flaking paint on the stand to apply a new coat (any suggestions?) and get new wood to support tank, so wonā€™t be able to fill or cycle for probably another week. The waitā€˜s killing meā€¦ but at least I have time to plan my scape and stocking ;).

Iā€™m thinking of doing a plant cycle and have read the article, but donā€™t have a test kit. Would it be ok to add in lots of fast growing plants (Iā€˜m thinking frogbit and duckweed since I have it on hand) and established filter media, add some fish food, wait a week or two until growth is seen, then add in maybe a bunch of pond snails/one native guppy or swordtail that we have in our pond? I swear those things are literally invincibleā€¦ and if any signs of ill health whatsoever just put it back in pond? Or should I just wait for like a month and then transfer fish from current tank to big one? Also, with established filter media, do you squeeze out the water from a sponge filter into a tank, or just put the sponge into the tank? So many questionsā€¦

Also, there might be a new thread soon asking how on earth to work these filters the tank came with, Iā€™ve only ever had a built in filter and those things look SCARY.

Thanks a bunch!
PPJ ^_^

Also, TNG, what brand is that tank for? That seems like a pretty good dealā€¦

The tanks are locally made, no brand. The tank in the link below probably suits your stand better, being 1220mm x 355mm base. Itā€™s $129, but youā€™ll also need to get a polystyrene sheet to support the tank, and cover glasses which will add another $25 - $30. Youā€™ll note that this store doesnā€™t deliver tanks interstate but you should be able to get one from an aquarium store near where you are.
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/co...nks/products/tank-4ft-aquarium-fish-tank-html

This link here shows all the available sizes.
https://www.amazingamazon.com.au/pr...1902520&pr_seq=uniform&variant=42748699902197

If you have a pond with fish outdoors, you can easily do a plant cycle. Transfer a lot of plants and some large rocks from the pond to the tank, but only have a few fish to start with. Donā€™t wash the rocks, as you donā€™t want to kill the good bacteria on the rocks. The bacteria also live on the cycled sponge, but not in the water.

To remove the flaking paint on the stand, you need to sand it. If I were you, Iā€™d just spray paint on top of it. Black paint should hide the uneven surfaces.

A little thing-donā€™t use snails like Pond Snails to test water quality. I put a Ramshorn Snail in a tank I was cycling when the Nitrate was higher than my water testing kit could measure. Other being more sluggish than usual it acted as if nothing was wrong!

Thanks guys!

I wonā€™t use snails and attempt that method you suggested TNG, but do you put in the fish and rocks/plants at the same time or fish after?

And the joys of fish-keepingā€¦ I never knew power sanding would be a skill of an aquarist, but one borrowed sander and 2 hours later and Iā€™m nearly done! Who wouldā€™a thunk it?

Thanks guys!

I wonā€™t use snails and attempt that method you suggested TNG, but do you put in the fish and rocks/plants at the same time or fish after?

And the joys of fish-keepingā€¦ I never knew power sanding would be a skill of an aquarist, but one borrowed sander and 2 hours later and Iā€™m nearly done! Who wouldā€™a thunk it?

Iā€™d set up the tank with substrate and plants the way Iā€™d like it to finally look, then add the rocks which will only be there temporarily.
The rocks covered with slime and dirt may make the water cloudy, so Iā€™d run the filter for a day or 2 to clear it up before adding a few fish, let them settle for a week or so before adding more.
After about a month Iā€™d remove the rocks.

As to your water supply problem, a solution may be to install another rainwater tank (itā€™s not cheap though). If itā€™s 2000-3000L you should have more than enough water all year round, assuming you change no more than 100L per week.
To put it in perspective, the average water usage in Aus is under 200L per person per day. We have learnt to use less water and live with the drought.

I salute your courage!

If this works, you will have a tank you remade, in effect.

Thanks guys!

You could repair other people's tanks now and make some cash on the side!

I won't even make you pay... just add some cories or plants (any type!) to the padded mailer and we'll call it a deal šŸ¤£

On a slightly more serious note, stand is now sanded and due to be prime coated and sprayed this afternoon! The weather, on the other hand, seems to have other plans.... for a state supposedly about to go into drought I haven't seen such as grey sky in a long time ;). We'll see if it holds water once the stand's done.

Archer is right on. Get the refund. Stop playing around with a tank you are not comfortable with.

I had a 50 gal once. It cracked overnight. 50 gallons of water on the floor. Ruined the rug, and the floor underneath drained into the basement. Now, you have a (small) risk of mold down the road.

If you live in an apartment, you'll be paying for new furniture for your neighbor's new furniture.

It's not being negative. If it is really cracked, or you suspect it is cracked, your fish adventure is going to be haunted by the specter of dead fish and water damage.

Archer is right on. Get the refund. Stop playing around with a tank you are not comfortable with.

I had a 50 gal once. It cracked overnight. 50 gallons of water on the floor. Ruined the rug, and the floor underneath drained into the basement. Now, you have a (small) risk of mold down the road.

If you live in an apartment, you'll be paying for new furniture for your neighbor's new furniture.

It's not being negative. If it is really cracked, or you suspect it is cracked, your fish adventure is going to be haunted by the specter of dead fish and water damage.
Despite my ideas shared earlier, I'm inclined to agree. Tanks are expensive, but new flooring is more expensive.

Most reactions

Back