Could Never Keep Saltwater Fish Alive

Im un Utah u.s.a.

so what do i want the temp to be at? my current freshwater sits at 72 w/out heater.

Where can i buy an R/O filter?

is it ok to add more live rock than recommended? like 15-20lbs for a 10gallon

so i dont need anyother type of filtration other than the live rock?

would this be needed? http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod...18381&r=487

do they make a hang on protein skimmer for nana tanks?

thanks for the help, you guys are aweosme

For RO units in the US, I'm going to have to let Ski and/or someone else make recommendations.

The internal trickle filter you link to however is not essential, and may actually become a pain in the backside to be running if you don't maintain it regularly to remove detritus build-up. Personally, I wouldn't use it, not as-is at least :good:

All the best
rabbut

well ive looked into R/O filter systems. and the cheapest i can find is $455 is there an alternative solution? can i buy r/o water somewhere? will tap water and water conditioner not be sufficient in a reef tank?

Should be fine, as first link at least openly states it's aqua cultured, therefor a lot cheaper.....ordinary base rock has been cultured on mass until it becomes live rather being removed from the wild.......
Basically man made live rock but it is perfect to use in your tank....may not have as much life on it, sometimes none, but it is full of the necessary bacteria needed to filter your system

as above really, regarding more specifics of your last system.
But a couple of things stand out.

firstly the 'bugs' were probably copepods, which are good guys, and free food for your fish.

secondly the thing with a needle to measure salinity would have been a hydrometer, which are notoriously bad at being accurate. A refractometer (although a little bit more expensive) is a must.

Saltwater fishkeeping isn't really that difficult but as dave said it is impotant to regularly test (especially in the first few months).

Filtration is commonly done via the 'Berlin' method these days. which involves the use of circulation from powerheads and a good amount of live rock. with this method you have no need for filter pads etc. which tend to cause a build up of nitrates if not replaced regularly.

this forum has some really knowledgeable people on it that are always willing to help, so if you do decide to come back to the salty side we're all here to help. just keep the questions coming.

Rob

P.S. photos are a must i'm afraid! :)

Tampa bay saltwater for the best, albeit expensive, aquacultured live rock (more life than real REAL live rock, in the states at least), sea life inc. would be a close second (alternatively you could ask around for some second hand live rock). Or buy 5-7 pounds marco rock (which would equal about 10-15 pounds when wet) and buy a small piece of live rock <1 pound.
Bulk reef supply for RO/DI unit, do not buy it at a store, most of the time its not really pure.
15-20 pounds of live rock would possibly be better for a 10 gallon tank
skip the skimmer

Lastly, your going to fast. Do a few more months of constant research and forum scanning before you start.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back