Could I Get Some Help Asap? Please?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Usagi08

Reaction score
Hi, My friend just purchased a Snakeskin Gourami to go with her Gold Gourami and Opaline. I have different kinds of fish so i needed help trying to figure out her problem.

I think its because of the agression in the gold and the opaline vs the snakeskin but im not sure...

Her Gold and Opaline keep chasing down the Snakeskin and pinning him down and biting him on the side. Can someone explain this and tell me how i can help her?

Her Gold and Opaline keep chasing down the Snakeskin and pinning him down and biting him on the side. Can someone explain this and tell me how i can help her?
That would definately prove a problem :nod:

You can't predict the behaviour of fish, but i'd assume its down to territioriality maybe inter species aggresion as the opaline and golden gourami are the same species, so it's possible they've paired off. Although in my limited experience with colisa gourami in-fighting is more common than aggression against other species.
Has the snakeskin been added after the 3 spots have had time to lay out territory?

What sex are the two trichogaster trichopterus?

Depends how big the tank is, she could try to rearrange the tank decor to split up the territories, but my guess from the information provided would be that the aggression will most likely manifest again so the SnakeSkin needs re-housing.

:dunno:

Worth re-arranging the tank, paying close attention and if there is no improvement, get the snakeskin moved.

Ive had nothing but trouble with gouramis and their aggression, im on my 3rd combination, had moonlights first then opalines, have got 2 female golds
now and although 1 in dominant its not constant harrasment, i honestly think the trick is to only have females. If they werent a attractive looking fish
i dont think id bother with them.

Even Females ca be nasty, i recently removed a dwarf female due to her nipping at my honeys constantly.
Thick-lips are brilliant though, of the 3 colisa i've kept/keep there is practically no aggression at all, and certainly nothing serious.
Except toward myself, one of them is really aggressive toward me and makes a point of attacking the tank glass everytime i come near him. Little wierdo, a rescuee and all......

I agree with other posters, its probably to with the aggressive nature of the species, and the sex ratio she's got them in. She's probably got at least two males - hence the fighting. I've always been told keep gouramis in sex ratio of M/F/F, or as someone else suggested, all females can be less of a problem too.

Get her to sex them and maybe sort out the ratio from there. Also, rearranging the tank decor might help short term too.

I keep a trio of pearl gouramis, who 95% of the time are very peaceful. But pearls are known for being a more peaceful fish, especiually in contrast to blues/opalines/golds.

Good luck.

Your problem could be that the 2 fish dont want the snakeskin invading there territory or maybe its the gender of fish idk!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back