Could Algae Be My Problem?

RockyRaccoon

New Member
Joined
May 10, 2009
Messages
38
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Im pretty new to the hobby. I had three fish (two tetras, one paradise) surprisingly die on me yesterday... two of them showed no signs of injury before their deaths. I noticed that one of my ornaments in my 20 gallon has nearly a half-inch thick layer of green algae growing on the top of it. My misconception was that algae is a good thing.. but after reading some stuff I'm seeing that it could be killin my fish. I've been meaning to buy algae eaters for a while but I cant find siamese ones anywhere near me (i hear they're the best). I havent searched thoroughly though so I'm pretty confident that I'll find em. Could I remove this thick layer of algae by hand? with a paper towel or somethin? I'd rather not remove the ornament because its huge and its removal will stress my fish.
 
Welcomesign2good.gif


I am going to say no to the fish dieing because of algae.

What are your water stats? Ammonia, NitrIte, NitrAte and pH readings?

Algae is commonly developed from higher or fluctuating levels of Ammonia.

And higher levels of ammonia that are above .25 ppm can kill your fish.

Also, have you cycled your tank?

-FHM
 
Hi RockyRaccoon :)

Why not tell us a little more about your tank? How many fish, size of tank, temperature, how long it's been set up, test readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (if you have them) etc. Perhaps we can help. It's no small thing to lose three fish on the same day, so you might have more serious problems than algae going on.
 
Algae is commonly developed from higher or fluctuating levels of Ammonia.


Hi RockyRaccoon :)

Why not tell us a little more about your tank? How many fish, size of tank, temperature, how long it's been set up, test readings for Ammonia, Nitrite and Nitrate (if you have them) etc. Perhaps we can help. It's no small thing to lose three fish on the same day, so you might have more serious problems than algae going on.

thanks for the welcoming

I picked up the hobby about 2 months ago. My father used to be really into keeping fish and he often boasts his knowledge so I assumed he could steer me in the right direction. I love the guy, but I've finally come to the conclusion that he is extremely cheap and has much less valuable knowledge than what he claims. He feels that cycling and water testing is unnecessary, he also believes clown loaches should be kept singly, and that an Oscar is the best choice for a centerpiece in my 20 gallon tank. :lol: . I try to respectfully ignore his suggestions nowadays.

So my tank was not cycled and many of my original fish died which was very discouraging (mostly tetras). I started with a sponge filter though, and I now have three of them (my tank is awkward and doesnt fit an external filter). I like to think that my tank has been cycled by now. After a month I realized my tank was too aggressive and overpopulated.. I made a tough decision to litterally give away 35 dollars worth of fish to a lfs and get myself a more peaceful community tank. So now I have 6 corys, 7 black neons, 5 pristella tetras, and a weather loach. The tank is heated to about 75 degrees.

So until now I have not tested the water. I'm sending a water sample to petsmart today though to see what is out of wack. The large amount of algae makes me think its ammonia. I changed 15% of the water yesterday and I plan to change another 10% today. Any other suggestions will be appreciated.
 
Hi RockyRaccoon :)

There have been changes in the way some people do things lately, but that doesn't make the old way wrong. Probably much of what your father did was right, if it was done correctly. What he most likely did, was what is now called a "Fish In" cycle, although he might not have known it. Lots of water changes, and not many fish, are the key to making it work successfully. Your dad probably thought of it as just cleaning the tank. That bit about the Oscar was a little off the wall though. :rolleyes:

You need not spend a lot of money on equipment. For a 20 gallon tank, sponge filters or box filters work fine, although sponge filters clog up more easily. What kind do you have? You might not even need three of them.

You still have a lot of fish for that sized tank, but wait until you get the results of the water test. Be sure to ask them to give you numbers, not just tell you if it's OK or not.

If the fish that died were part of your early lot, they may have had their gills damaged. What do you have as substrate, and how do you usually clean it? :unsure:
 
You need not spend a lot of money on equipment. For a 20 gallon tank, sponge filters or box filters work fine, although sponge :sick:filters clog up more easily. What kind do you have? You might not even need three of them.

well i'm not sure. The main one is a sponge in a box.. and the other two very small ones made for a max of 5 gallons (i'm guessing).


If the fish that died were part of your early lot, they may have had their gills damaged. What do you have as substrate, and how do you usually clean it? :unsure:

I have small gravel... about two or three rocks would be the size of a penny if that gives you an idea of the size. I have a gravel vaccuum that i use during water changes.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top