Cost Of Running A 5 Gallon Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Maxim_Storm

Reaction score
Hello,

I have a 5 Gallon Tropical Fish Tank and I'd like to keep Puffer Fish, but my OH wants proof that the cost of running the tank won't be too high, he already bought me a Juwel Vision 180 for my Cichlids and a Juwel Rekord 70 for my Lobster so I got to prove it's value for money!

So my questions are....

Can I keep Puffer Fish in a tank that size and if so how many and what ones?
What would be the cost of running a tank that size e.g. electricity, plants etc per month?

Any help or advise would be very much appreciate.

Thanks, Gemma

I forgot to say that I would like to keep a Green Spotted Puffer or Dwarf Puffers.

in comparison to your other tanks.......pennies per month for electricity and maybe a couple of bucks for food,supplements and water changes.probably less than a couple cups of coffey,the fancy kind.

lol... therotically, each dwarf puffer should have 3 gallons of room, mind you I kept 2 in a 5gallon hex tank, very densily planted though, Green spotted puffers need brackish water, however dwarf puffers don't... they are truly fresh water puffers... Your better off not putting a green spotted puffer in a 5gallon tank as (to my understanding) they need more room, such as 10gallons per fish... Dwarf puffers (where I am) are usually only about $2-3, the 5gallon tank can cost more depending on the system... I bought an eclipse system 5 gallon hex, that cost $69.99... plus the gravel and the plants, I spend a good $140 on that set up... went all out :lol:

It'd actually be cheaper to get a 10gallon tank which (where I am) is only $69.99... the same price as my 5gallon hex was... More room, and more puffers... however for green spotted puffers you'd need even more room (as I understand it)

I forgot to say that I would like to keep a Green Spotted Puffer or Dwarf Puffers.

a 5 Gallon tank is suitable for 1 Dwarf Puffer nothing more. It is totally unsuitable for any other Puffer. Green Spotted Puffers which are high brackish to full marine qualiy salt water at adulthood should be in 30 gall tanks minimum as they are a very active fish.

Thanks everyone.

Spent the day researching Puffers on various forums and web sites and have come to the conclusion I can have 2 Dwarf Puffers in my tank so I am a happy bunny :good:

5 Galls will happily support 1 Dwarf Puffer. 2 at a push, this is assuming they get along and dont kill each other.

Ps Dwarf Puffers are full fresh water fish.

My puffers were fine in my 5gallon tank, I had 2 aswell, however you've gotta remember that DPs are extremly agressive and usually turn on one another. This is why it's important to have the tank DENSLY planted... It breaks the line of site so the less agressive one can hide.

Also, remember like I originally said, and like Dark originally said... Dwarf Puffers are fully freshwater fish, no salt or it will effect them negativly...

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back