Corys

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

AfflictionX

Reaction score
Iā€™m really sick of being at the lfs and hearing people talk about how their Cory cats wonā€™t school together.... if thatā€™s the case... your doing something wrong lol. I was there yesterday arguing with a guy. Seems like a trend lately. People not happy with their Cory cat purchase. These are mine every morning. They claimed that rock and they all sleep together. None of them really move untill one does then they all follow. They eat in a group like that. Every Cory species Iā€™ve ever had schooled together.

Attachments

• 6E0ED59E-59C3-4617-A2B8-622F836CE606.jpeg
    6E0ED59E-59C3-4617-A2B8-622F836CE606.jpeg
    371.2 KB · Views: 78
Iā€™m really sick of being at the lfs and hearing people talk about how their Cory cats wonā€™t school together.... if thatā€™s the case... your doing something wrong lol. I was there yesterday arguing with a guy. Seems like a trend lately. People not happy with their Cory cat purchase. These are mine every morning. They claimed that rock and they all sleep together. None of them really move untill one does then they all follow. They eat in a group like that. Every Cory species Iā€™ve ever had schooled together.
What do you think is the main factor which stops them from schooling ?

Well the idiot I was talking to yesterday had like 4 different species mixed in lol. Trying to tell me different color guppies school together so different color Cory cats should school together...... Only time Iā€™ve ever had issues was when water parameters arenā€™t right. Or I add a new bottom dwelling fish to the tank and even then after a few days everyone is back to normal

Nice looking fish, im planning to have Corys in my big tank once I'm done with setup.

That's a.good.lookin.brood!

Corys school. I have 3 (but after your pic, I may have to reevaluate the populations in my tanks...haha...) In my 38 and they always hang out together. A peppered cory, julie cory and a green emerald. They hang out together all day long. I mean, every so often they will explore the world around them solo, but for the most part, they homies.

Mixed cories will group together too. I keep all of mine mixed in big groups, exception of my pygmies.

But you know when shoaling fish stop schooling? Because theyre shoalers. They will often go off on their own or in pairs, whenever they feel like it, because they feel comfortable to break off from the group to go off on their own. It's a compliment if they scatter about. They chill together when they want too.

But if theyre schooling tight all the time, theyre not feeling secure or safe to do their own thing.

Cories aren't schoolers. Theyre shoalers.

20201007_160136.jpg
20201007_160002.jpg
20201001_132501.jpg
20200917_172057.jpg
20200819_211236.jpg

Last edited:
Mixed cories will group together too. I keep all of mine mixed in big groups, exception of my pygmies.

But you know when shoaling fish stop schooling? Because theyre shoalers. They will often go off on their own or in pairs, whenever they feel like it, because they feel comfortable to break off from the group to go off on their own. It's a compliment if they scatter about. They chill together when they want too.

But if theyre schooling tight all the time, theyre not feeling secure or safe to do their own thing.

Cories aren't schoolers. Theyre shoalers.

View attachment 119946View attachment 119947View attachment 119948View attachment 119949View attachment 119950
I love the leaf litter you have added to the tank, do the bottom feeders enjoy it??

I love the leaf litter you have added to the tank, do the bottom feeders enjoy it??
I add leaf litter to mine too, mainly Indian almond and oak leaf. Other than the tannins released by them (indian almond leaf tannins have proven anti-fungal properties), they also provide a food source for micro-organisms for which the corys feed on. They break up the substrate visually and are sometimes used by cory for shelter from light.
You might not hear back from @NCaquatics unfortunately as she hasnt been on the forum for a little while.

I add leaf litter to mine too, mainly Indian almond and oak leaf. Other than the tannins released by them (indian almond leaf tannins have proven anti-fungal properties), they also provide a food source for micro-organisms for which the corys feed on. They break up the substrate visually and are sometimes used by cory for shelter from light.
You might not hear back from @NCaquatics unfortunately as she hasnt been on the forum for a little while.
Aw thanks so much for replying to me, I'm new to fish keeping only had my tank 6 months so this kind of stuff is really interesting. I'll have to look into that

Aw thanks so much for replying to me, I'm new to fish keeping only had my tank 6 months so this kind of stuff is really interesting. I'll have to look into that
Theres a really good blog on here about using botanicals (leaf litter ..) in the aquarium

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back