Cory With Growth Over Eye?

Esha 2000 isn't a problem indeed. Keep an eye on the greyish. Could be bacterial, but also a parasite (Chilodonella), or just mucus / skin. The other eye getting the same worries me a bit.

Thanks again for the help guys. I watched them all closely last night and the double dose doesn't seem to have caused any distress.

This is a three day treatment but I'd obviously be happy to use whatever would do the job. I don't have any antibiotics at home and I don't know what to get!

I know I have access to Interpet Internal Bacteria (can't find the ingredient list) and Waterlife Myxazin (Malachite Green (0.17% w/v), Formaldehyde (0.24% w/v) and Acriflavine (0.11% w/v))

Have you seen any improvement yet?
You can also double dose anti internal bacteria medication by interpet.
Esha 2000, and interpet anti bacteria are only affective on mild bacteria infections.

Do you have an opinion on the myxazin?

No sign of improvement but not looking worse either!

Myxazin quite good on mild columnaris.
I used all 3 in the past, esha 2000, myxazin by waterlife, anti internal bacteria medication by interpet.
But which one the best I don't know.
Once bacteria infection progress they need antibiotics then it can be to late.
You could try dropping your temp.
Get you some info.

COLUMNARIS

The hospital tank should be heated to approx. 74 degrees. 76 and above is the ideal breeding temperature for columnaris. Though there is some dispute over lowering the temperature, my experience has been that 72 is too low for the medication to work rapidly, 76+ causes the disease to breed more rapidly than the anti-biotic can kill, and 74 is "just right." Remember to keep this temperature stable!

Text © Lauren Weeks 

When the esha med course is up I would preform a water change and then run some new black carbon
to remove the medication from the tank.
Then start with anti internal bacteria by interpet. Double dose.

Thanks wilder that's really helpful. Keep my tank at 80.5, slightly on the warm side for most of my fish. But the sterbai like warmer temperatures so I compromise with 80.5! None of them will mind it being a bit cooler for a while though so I'll drop the temp :) I'll get some interpet anti internal bac and double dose it after I finish the esha. 

I use Hydor external heaters which are rock solid, I never see any fluctuation in my tank temperature. 

Had a long search for JBL furanol 2 but just can t seem to get it anymore in the UK.
So frustrating.
You could try phoning a vet to see if he would prescribe some antibiotics. Though later even
vets want to see the fish first.

Is loose/bagged carbon or sponge carbon better for removing meds?

I only used sponge carbon by juwel.

Yeah same here I was able to find API Furan 2 on ebay but they put a disclaimer in the fine print that says:

OUTSIDE THE USA SHIPPING CAN TAKE UP TO 35 DAYS TO RECEIVE. WE DO NOT CONTROL THE POST OFFICE.  ALSO, OUTSIDE THE USA, WE GET INVOLVED IN CUSTOMS ISSUES.  WE CAN ONLY SHIP THE PRODUCTS AND LEAVE THE REST UP TO THE PROS.  PLEASE BE AWARE IF YOUR COUNTRY DOESN'T ALLOW CERTAIN ITEMS AS WE CANNOT PICK AND CHOOSE WHAT IS ALLOWED TO BE SHIPPED.

Here's the link FYI:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/310603307924?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

It wouldn't get here in time and even if I wanted to buy it for potential problems it may not make it through customs and I'd lose my money 
shout.gif
At £9.70 it isn't a huge loss but I dunno...

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thanks.
Some members have bought antibiotics from US. But it;s illegal..

Good Luck.

Just an update. 

Since I last posted about this I finished the ESHA2000 treatment. There wasn't any improvement. I did a couple of large water changes over a couple of days and then added a dose of Interpet Internal Bacteria on Monday. Yesterday when I came home the original poorly cory was stuck to my filter inlet but still alive. I caught him and put him in a floating breeder trap. I spotted the next worse looking cory and put him in as well. Today I set up a hospital tank and somehow managed to catch all 10 cories. I've added Myxazin which is a five day treatment. 

All of the cories are still alive although others are starting to show symptoms in addition to the two really poorly ones. I'm a bit worried because after adding them to the QT tank most of them have turned very pale. I'm hoping it's just the new environment that's stressing them. I'm paranoid because the last time I used this set-up I was treating an angelfish and I used a lot of salt. The tank is definitely salt free but there was probably some still left in the filter head/pipes - I did wash all of the media out (and added media from my main tank)...eeek I'm worried. I don't want to do a water change because of the meds and it may not even be salt. I hate second guessing myself!

The temperature is at 24c and I'm worried that keeping them at a low temperature this long is stressing them too as their temp range is 24-28. The main tank was at 23 but I haven't got this one down to that yet. 

The tank is completely bare, are they lightening up to match the lack of substrate? I usually keep them on dark sand. 

All other fish in the main tank still healthy. 

Poor things.
Have you increased aeration in the hospital tank?
Did you double dose the anti internal bacteria medication by interpet?

What symptoms are the corys showing now?

Crap! I forgot to double the dose...

I haven't added an airstone but that's no problem to do. I'll fire one in tonight. 

I've got a couple of pictures from yesterday when I put the worst ones in the floating trap. 

The 1st sick cory is lethargic and looking very bad indeed. The side of his head where the eye trouble was has turned completely white and is wasting away, tattered eroded fins. The second cory's symptoms look different but similar. On one side the gill plate is slightly flared out with a somewhat thick grey covering, the eye also has a thick-looking film over it, tattered fins. The others are showing various symptoms. Some are still looking fine but I can see some possible greying in places and there are some tattered fins as well. A couple are inactive but I don't know if that's for being moved into this tank. 

Original cory on left, 2nd on right:

Cory number 2 is still pretty active, just looks bad

Attach your airsone as medication reduce 02 in the water.
Poor things.
If the side of the head is rotting away I think I would put that cory out of it's misery. Sorry.
I don't like the sound of things and I don't think the myxazin will do the job. But lets
hope it does. 

Just want to make sure there no signs of flicking and rubbing.
Do you notice any red around the patches?

Most reactions

trending

Back