Cory With Growth Over Eye?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Alm0stAwesome

Fish Aficionado
Reaction score
Water parameters: Ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate I haven't checked in ages but the tank is well planted and gets 60% weekly w/c so it'll be fine, pH 7.2-7.4, temp 27 c, Hardness; my supplier tells me it's soft with a hardness clarke of 7.7 whatever that means!

A full description of the fishes symptoms: There is a hollow under one eye and there seems to be a translucent growth coming up from the bottom of the eye. There is redness around the nose/mouth. The area looks a scaly white. I'm not sure how long this has been a problem as I rarely get a full headcount of my cories. The fish is quiet, but not sure if he's eating because I only spotted it after feeding time was over. I've been debating for a couple of days if some of my other cories have cloudy patches on their skin but it's so slight I haven't been sure...

How often you do water changes and how much: weekly, at least 60%

Any chemicals and treatments you add to the water: Seachem Prime

What tank mates are in the tank: 6 angelfish, 4 rummynose, 3 espei rasbora, 3 bolivian ram, 2 BN plecs, 2 nerite snails, 10 sterbai cory

Tank size: 340L, 4ft, 18" deep, 24" high, 2 TetraTec EX1200 (1200lph) External filters, very mature.

Finally Have you recently added any new fish: 2 cories, 1 bolivian ram, 4 rummynose tetras (2 weeks ago), added some new plants throughout the last 2 weeks. 

Digital photo (include if possible):

Thanks for the help!

The hollow bit under the eye does it look pink, or red with a circling of dead tissue around the edges?.
Does the mouth area look swollen also.?
Is the mouth and nose starting to rot away?
The cloudy patches on the other corys do they look a greyish white?

Thanks Wilder, I was hoping you'd see my post. 

The hollow bit under the eye does it look pink, or red with a circling of dead tissue around the edges?
Not at the hollow, it just looks white but no fraying or fluffy tissue that I can see. In front of the gill plate/behind the nose kind of going under the jaw is looking quite red though but like inflammation under the skin?

Does the mouth area look swollen also?
I'm guessing if it was swollen I'd be able to tell?
confused.gif
I'm looking back and forth between this one and the others and I can't see any difference 

Is the mouth and nose starting to rot away?
No, looks intact

The cloudy patches on the other corys do they look a greyish white?
Yes, it's hard to tell but you could call it a grey/white

Can you isolate the corys. As you need a good bacterial medications. JBL furanol 2. But it wipes the good
bacteria out in the filter.
There also anti internal bacteria medication by interpet. But only affective on mild bacteria infections.

Are all the other fish ok and showing no health issues?

All other fish looking great, my angels are looking to spawn. It's just the cories that are a concern
confused.gif

Do you know where I can source the Furanol 2? I've done a quick search and can't see it available anywhere. I know I can get my hands on the interpet stuff though - what do you think?

I could probably isolate them but I think I'd have to strip the tank to catch them all, I have some sort of disability that leaves me incapable of catching fish lol; there are usually tears. 

My LFS carries a wide range of Waterlife products and I've got an unopened bottle of ESHA2000, would any of those products do the job?

OK. I do understand about stripping the tank down to catch them with your disability.

Try the esha 2000 it's not a bad medication.

Here a link to the furanol 2 by JBL. I think it's a UK site but not sure.
http://www.seahorseaquariums.com/JBL-Furanol-2-20-Tablets//1509

The site in Dublin. Ireland.

No longer available on Amazon.co.uk JBL Furanol 2.

Let me know how you get on if you don't mind.

Good Luck.

Forgot. Just make sure the esha 2000 medication is not out of date.

They don't ship outside of Ireland, how weird is that? I'll use the esha and of course let you know how things go :)

Thanks for the help!

I bought it once and was a very good medication but you can't seem to be able to
get hold of it now in the UK. As though it has been banned.

Hope they get welll soon.
Good Luck.

One more question! I use Purigen filter media which I'll obviously need to remove while treating the tank. Will the media itself be ok to take out of the tank and put back in when treatment is over? I'm not sure if letting it dry out will harm the purigen at all. Feels like a silly question but thought I'd ask it!

Purigen filter. Sorry don't know anything about your type of filter.
The esha 2000 as far as I remember does not knock good bacteria in the filter, so it
should be fine to leave the filter media in.
Just remove black carbon from filter if you use it..

That's correct, but that's because it isn't a very strong anti-bacterial med. You might need something stronger.
What kind of substrate is in?

Fine sand, Unipac Limpopo. The substrate is very clean, there is never any poop or detritus visible - I think this is because it's over filtered and I don't have any hardscape to block flow.

Okay. Don't know Limpopo, but all the Brits using it tell me it's great for / with Corys so that shouldn't be the problem.
I go with wilder it being bacterial. The part over the eye is the eye-lid (is this english ???) that closes due to the infection damage under it to my believe.
When / If Esha 2000 doesn't do anything within the coming days, try to get a stronger anti-bacterial med.
Cheers Aad

Thanks for your input DoubleDutch. I added the esha today but I'm feeling really nervous because I doubled the dose. It was in the instructions that for very ill fish and "faster initial results" it was safe. It also said that even when overdosed, esha is unlikely to become toxic so should be safe - I can't help but worry though. 

The cory in question does look worse today physically but it's behaviour is perfectly normal. Active and greedily taking part in meal time. The eye looks...loose kind of wiggly and more sunken in. And the other eye is starting to look the same as in loose and wiggly but there's no sunken area or whiteness. Also I am now sure that the other cories are showing some white/grey discolouration which was the tipping point for me to double the dose. All other fish still looking healthy so this seems specific to the cories. 

Fingers crossed!!

Poor thing.
Sunken in eyes as well as popping out eyes can be bacterial.
He really need to be treated with antibiotics in isolation.
Do you have any antibiotics left from a prescribed prescription.?
As long as the esha 2000 is not causing fish to dart around tank,, or heavy breath, or gasp at surface of tank.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back