cory eggs

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

corylover5

Fish Herder
Reaction score
This morning my Albino cories spawned and I have collected 33 eggs so far. I have never tried to raise cory fry before so I'm not too sure about what to do. I gently placed the 33 eggs on a shell which is now in a small container of tank water. Any tips on how to hatch the eggs and raise the fry is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Pop in a couple drops of methylene blue or an alder cone, add an airstone. This prevents fungus on the eggs. Some still happens, but it's reduced.

Will take 3-5 days to hatch.

After they hatch, they wont need to be fed for the first 3 days. After that, foods like fry starters (Hikari First Bites, etc) or microworm or such can be offered. I use Hikari First Bites and so far so good. I dip the tip of a toothpick into water and then into the food, then dip back into the water so it sinks.

When they hatch, change water daily.

A tip my local aquarium club recommended was to keep the babies in small cups inside the larger container at first. Makes it easier for them to find food. Keep some sort of shelter in them (java moss, indian almond leaves, etc). Perforate the cups with very small holes. Airstone in the outer tank. Move them only when hatched, leave the eggs where they are for now. Remove any that fungus over.

At 7 days old you can add a little bit of sand, to help prevent damage to their growing barbels, as there is beneficial bacteria in the sand for them. Bare bottom has had some negative affect on their barbels apparently.

I like the cup method also, because i can siphon out water from the tank without sucking up fry! Makes water changes wayyyy easier.

Once a bit larger, you can add a cycled sponge filter in place of the airstone if you wish.

I only ended up with a few of cory eggs because alot of mine got eaten by the tetras but so far mine are doing very well and I dont see any fungus. Hopefully mine hatch because they are turning brown.

Only one of mine has spawned. But it was an albino and the male is a regular so hopefully I get more common than albino because I like the colors better.

In addition to what NCaquatics provided, add some dried leaves if you can. Dead dry leaves like oak, beech, maple, or Indian Almond Leaves some fish stores sell; these produce infusoria as they decompose, and all fish fry will grow faster with infusoria, and there is no better way to get it.

Make sure the eggs remain in the same water in whcih they were laid (parameters here).

I have baby danios in a tank and havent give them infusoria once and they survived because the tank has tons of moss with infusoria already in it.

Yes, infusoria occur from many sources, but studies have shown that when dried leaves are added to the tank the growth of fry is measurably faster in all cases, whatever the species. Dried leaves are easy, and given the benefits well worth it.

Once they hatch could I put them in a breeder box with 2 week old molly fry? It's a mesh breeder box with very very small holes.
I recommend getting a 5 gallon, I have 42 guppy fry, and they have been growing. Remember, if the molly fry can fit a corydora in it's mouth, I recommend, not doing that, I have bad experiences, with breeder boxes.

The reason why the breeder box could be bad, is because the fry don't have space to grow. Which led to the death of my past guppy fry, maybe get a 5 gallon, and add hiding spots for the corydoras. Give them some Hikari First Bites, which is what I use. Good luck!

No dont do the breeder net for the cory fry. Not while small at least, as they wont be able to get the food off the bottom of it. They need really fine foods at first.

Plus, they will need sand to develop their barbels properly or they risk infection. That wouldn't be possible in the breeder box with mesh.

You can get a plastic tote and house them there.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back