CORY EGGS HATCHED !!!!!!!!!!&#

sandyd

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I am thrilled to tell you all that I woke this morning to find little cories coming out of their eggs. They are swimming happily in the little 1 gallon. They are the cutest little fish I have ever seen. They look like little little tad poles. Very Cool. I am so thrilled. I have counted about 7 tails so far, and there are still more eggs in there so who knows how many i will end up with. Now I remember why I started raising fish in the first place. I am the proud momma of baby cories. I will keep you posted on them. Sandy

Congradulations, sandyd :flowers:

When I came on the forum this morning I knew you would have a yes or a no on the eggs. I'm soooo glad to hear they made it! :thumbs:

Baby corys are the cutest little things! And the next time your corys spawn you will probably get quite a few more eggs, too. :D

Yayyyyyy!! :thumbs: :- :band: :drink: I'm so happy for you! I've been awaiting the end of your egg story, as well. Keep us posted on the lil guys. :)

Thats really cool sandy, glad to hear it!!! :thumbs: :thumbs:

Thank you all so much, I am just thrilled. I did not soften my water, my water is 75 gh and 80 kh alkalinity out of my tap. The tank temp went down the other day to about 72 over night, i forgot to plug in the new heater after letting it sit in the water a while. When I realized the tank was so cold, i pluged it in and slowly started raising the temp back up. I think that is what triggered the spawning. The eggs were stuck to the glass the next morning and the tiger barbs and skirt tetras were trying to get them so i had no choice but to get them out of there. The eggs must have been pretty fresh as they were sticky and stuck to my fingers. I still have not been able to count how many are in there, as they are very quick and tiny. They are hiding under their pebbles. I thought guppie babies were small until i saw these, if they would have been born in the tank I would have never seen them. I would say their total length is a bit less than 1/4 inch. I have notlocated microworms for them as of yet, bought a micro food, but no microworms in it. I will try to feed them brine shrimp which i can crush up. I will keep you all posted. Sandy

sandyd,

You are right about the temperature drop causing the corys to lay eggs. That will do it better than anything.

If you can't find the microworms they might take the spirolina or algae tablets you put in for the adults. They soften in the water and the fry might be able to eat it. They also make liquid fry food and some of it will get to the bottom of the tank. It is worth a try.

They are tiny, but not as tiny as gourami fry.

Glad to hear that sanyd !!! I knew they would pull it thorugh ;) Mine also hatched today...there in the same tank as my other fish however they are hiding in thick vegetations I have around 30-40 in the vegetation with more eggs to hatch. I'll end up transfering though :D

That's pretty cool, I wonder how many babies have come out of the eggs so far. Gonna try something with one of my tanks in a week... What kind of corries were they? Or more detail :p

They are Aeneus corys, and i have coundted adleast 15 in there, but most are hiding, so cant be sure of number. I will tell you what I did and maybe it will work for you too. I first of all have very soft water, so i dont know if that helped. The outside temp went down to 60 the other morning and I forgot to plug in the new heater, so my tank temp went down to 72. I turned the heater on and slowly started raising the temp again. The following morning there was a clutch of eggs stuck to the side of the glass. I went to my fish cabinet and grabbed a glass canning jar that i use to clean my bettas. I put the glass jar in the tank under water, and scraped the eggs off the side of the tank with my fingernail. The eggs should not come out of the water, as i read somewhere that it will kill them. After i got all the sticky little eggs off the side of the tank and into the jar, i went hunting for where i could put them. I found a 1 gallon tank that i had, and cleaned it out and filled it with the tank water that the eggs had come out of. I then added a plant and a few pieces of gravel. I also added an air stone and put the eggs in, again keeping them submerged in water. 3 days later i woke to find they had hatched. I have been feeding mine brine shrimp pelletts and i also found it in a cube that is easily broken into small pieces. If i can give you any more help, please ask, i am not an expert, but i could tell you how things worked for me. Sandy

That has helped very much but in Arizona "phoenix" temperature goes against me because of Arizona known as a desert state. I turned the heaters off "2" of them in the tank to make it coolor for 2 days then turned them back on, I noticed the females about a week ago starting to get bigger and showing off as proof of them being females because they're giant compared to the male ones and the males are acting like guppy males when it comes to females. But they always do that in the 160 gallon. What would you feed your corry catfish before they spawned... :) ty I appreciate it :thumbs:

I can actually relate to you in pheonix, i have an uncle who lives there. I live in Louisiana where it is wet and hot all year round. I guess it was just a cold front that came down to make it cool outside. I feed my corys, shrimp pellets, and well as bloodworms, algae discs. Not all at 1 time, but i try to mix up their food a bit. Mostly they eat the shrimp pellets. If all else fails, you could turn off the tank heaters, and crank the ac. :lol: It might take a while in a tank that large though. LOL Mine are in a 55 gallon. Babies are doing fine, they are eating brine shrimp cubes that i break up for them. Good luck and keep us posted.
Sandy

Most reactions

Back