Cory, Cory, Cory, Cory!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

roseK

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i was thinking about a cool set up for my ten gal. and then i thought about how cute stubby two is (my cory, and oldest fish)

then i was all like, WHOA! let get a few more and put them in, they would be adorable. and then i thought, well maybe i could get some neons to swim around about too.

or honey gourmi. they are kinda cute. alittle something with my corys.

i thought i would share. lol

Sounds nice. It would indeed be interesting. Got an idea on the Cory you want?

And honeys are absolutely cute.

i believe the one i hav now is bronze, but it doesnt really matter to me which kind i get since they are all cute ^^ what ever is available at the time..

oh and i was thinking that with my original cory and like 5 others, and 2 honey gourami i wanted sand, and like a rock thinky in the middle with plants in the back, and i have put a home made background :p its black textured paper and it looks quite good!

but im not to sure how to go about cleaning sand? ive always had gravel.

Using a tube of some kind. Disconnect it from the gravel vacuum. And lightly go over the sand using that. Takes abit to get it all out but sand does look really good and the corys will love it.

hurray! thanks, im going to be looking at a bigger tank for my turtle soon (making sure theres no leaks) then ill put my one cory in, and he shall be king of the ten gallon fishies mwauahaha. i want to find some pygmy corys so im not over stocked

The Gourami will want some kind of cover at the top, live or artificial plants, floating or tall bottom plants.

Bronze do get larger, so I think 4 added will be plenty for a 10 gallon. Pygmys are cute, but they can be harder to keep and don't always thrive. It also is a lot of fish to add at one time, so you will want to watch the water parameters and perhaps only add a few every few weeks and not all at once. As a matter of fact, although Corys love a large group, to start you might want to keep it a 3 Corys total and then later add the top fish. The Corys will probably make it but the top fish, Gouramis or neons, may not do well if the tank goes into a mini cycle. If you want a larger group of Corys, like 5 ot 6, wait until the tank is well established before you add more fish. A 10 gal can handle 6 Corys, but that is pretty much it until the tank is very mature.

yea the first fish will be my one cory. and he shall be king for awhile until the tank is ready. i might not get a top fish.. im still thinking.. but i wanted something with more colour.. but my original idea was to have a full cory tank lol

hm well we shall see.

i was looking for sand on petsmart.com and its either salt water or reptile "calcium" sand.

i dont kno if that should be put in my tank.. but there was one for reptiles thats all natural with no dyes or chemicals.. maybe thats good? i dont kno why i cant find sand!

would sand meant for marine tanks be safe for freshwateR?

no.

You can check out DIY supply stores. Play sand works. (for sand boxes) It is pretty cheap too.

I'm so happy for you! It is so fun to try and figure out what fish to put in a new tank. have fun with your corys! I know i will when i FINALLY get my second ten gallon! ^_^ I agree with ICEEGRL, play said works the best. I keep hermit crabs, and even some people on a few hermit crab forums im a member of dont agree with calcisand. Im sure it would do something funky to the water. Playsand is GREAT. Sometimes it is hard to find at the hardware stores, so usually i have to ask an employee about it. if you cant find it, you really should ask someone who works at the place your looking. sometimes it blends right in with mulches and stones and cement mixes! o-o

The sand for marine tanks raises the ph (buffers) too much. Most fresh water fish don't do well with it. I had it in one of my tanks, and it killed several of my fish before I figured out what the problem was.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back