Cory catfish questions..

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Also side question what other algae eaters do you guys recommend (that are compatible with my Betta (I have a red spade tail betta)

I recommend spotted cories or other dwarf cories in a group of at least 5. Seeing you have a large tank, you could even have 8 or ten. And maybe add some anubias attached to rocks or driftwood.

What is your ph and gh? I assume your tank is properly cycled. If you add more than 5 cories, I would add just half of them at a time so beneficial bacteria can build up.

Which species of cory? The larger species need to be in a shoal of at least 6 but the dwarf species (pygmy, habrosus and hastatus) are better with at least 10.

Also side question what other algae eaters do you guys recommend

When you say other algae eaters, do you mean other than cories? Cories are not algae eaters, they are omnivores and need some meat in their diet. They are also not scavengers and need to be fed with a meat (or fish) containing sinking pellet.
Snails are good algae eaters and are fine with bettas. I have nerites in both my tanks. They will not eat every type of algae - nothing eats every type - and it is up to us to keep algae down to a minimum. All tanks will have some algae. If the tank has live plants, an imbalance between lighting, fertiliser and CO2 will cause excess algae. If there are no live plants, cutting down the time the lights are on might help.

1) can it live with my Betta
2) do they need to be in a group
3) can one Cory catfish live in a 20 gal long? Here is my tank here https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0002AS21W/?tag=ff0d01-20

1) Male Bettas are not community fish so it is best on its own. Having said that, a group of cories sometimes works, sometimes not, depending upon the temperament of a Betta. Bottom line, male Bettas are not community fish and should be housed individually alone.

2) Yes, cories are shoaling fish and must have a grooup. Minimum five or six for common species, but more for one of the "dwarf" species. Minimum numbers are misleading, as they are only providing the bare "minimum" for the well being of the fish but the fish will be better with more in the group.

3) "Live" meaning survive, yes, but meaning thrive, no. Shoaling fish need a group.

On the algae question, as essjay pointed out, cories do not eat algae. And with a male Betta, no fish that might should be considered. Snails and maybe shrimp.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Well what are your water conditions recommendation for cories kept with a Betta

Well what are your water conditions recommendation for cories kept with a Betta

Don't keep them together. Bettas are not community fish.

Which reminds me of something else in that article...they link a list of fish that make "good tankmates." Some of the suggestions are comical, or would be, if one does not care about the poor fish.

Maybe she should buy a 5 gallon tank just for the betta and and put the 20 gallon to better use by making it a community tank. That would make more sense. A betta doesnt need 20 gallons of space.

Walmart sells a 5 gallon glass tank by Aqua Culture that comes with a filter, hood, and led light for $30. Thats the one I bought for my Betta. You would just need to buy a small heater. My Betta is much happier in his own tank. I used to have him in a 10 gallon tank with 5 harlequin rasboras and he would hide a lot. Now he’s out in the open much more and even made a bubble nest.

Last edited:
Maybe she should buy a 5 gallon tank just for the betta and and put the 20 gallon to better use by making it a community tank. That would make more sense. A betta doesnt need 20 gallons of space.

Yes, agree completely. :fish:

What is your ph and gh? I assume your tank is properly cycled. If you add more than 5 cories, I would add just half of them at a time so beneficial bacteria can build up.
Not sure what my ph and gh is I can check on that but at the pet store the man said everything was fine when I tested it (fully cycled btw)

Walmart sells a 5 gallon glass tank by Aqua Culture that comes with a filter, hood, and led light for $30. Thats the one I bought for my Betta. You would just need to buy a small heater. My Betta is much happier in his own tank. I used to have him in a 10 gallon tank with 5 harlequin rasboras and he would hide a lot. Now he’s out in the open much more and even made a bubble nest.
Btw I’m a boy lmao

Most reactions

Back