cory cat

Hoplesswfish

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I bought a spotted cory cat well thats what they called it at the fish store. He is not good with my other fish they pick on him. I want to give him a new home. So can they go in with angel fish they are in a 90 gallon tank. I want to get more so he can school but I don't want him to hurt the angles or the other way around. :/

Hi Hoplesswfish :)

You don't have to worry about cory cats hurting any of your other fish. They are perfect citizens of any community tank. :nod:

But I'm concerned about your other fish picking on him. What kind of fish is doing that? Do you have a cave in your tank so he can have a place to get away from them?

Corys should have a cave anyway, because the light sometimes bothers their eyes and they like to spend some time in the shade. Low growing plants are good for this too.

Your cory is probably terrified being in the tank by himself. Because they are schooling fish, they feel their safety is in numbers. In other words, a predator cannot tell him apart from his friends and some one else will just as likely be the one to be eaten. They also grow up playing and racing around their tank with all their brothers and sisters and they miss that. Please try to get some companions for him soon.

Here is a link that shows pictures of many of the corys. Perhaps you can identify yours here:

http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/calli...ra/g_thumbs.htm

BTW, how big are the angels?

I know they are schooling fish now. The stupid lfs worker told me to get one they would be great for my dwarf puffer fish tank to clean up the garbage. :sly: Yea right I dont have the room for a school of them even if they were ok to stay in that tank. The poor fish he is going to go in the big tank with the angles that way he can have friends :D

I see...............another lfs story! :X

Yes, I think he'll be better off with the angels. And you will enjoy watching a group of them interact together. :nod:

They are my favorite fish, by far. :D

Don't get me going on the lfs's! When I purchased my 6 bronze corys for my 20 gallon, the lady at the lfs almost wouldn't sell them to me! She said no WAY should 6 corys go in a 20 gallon and that they would never get enough to eat unless I grossly overfed my other fish. I assured her that I did my research and had some sinking pellets for the corys to eat and she finally relented by saying "OK but you're WRONG!" :rolleyes:

BTW, they are doing great, get plenty to eat and are now among my favorite fish. 6 is a good number to get I think. Enough for them to play around and when they swarm to eat the sinking pellets it is hilarious. They won't even notice the pellets sinking down to the bottom at first, then one by one you will see them perk up a little bit("turn on" I like to call it) and meander over to the pellet. The tiger barbs and danios in with them try to squeeze in and get a bit but usually get "politely" pushed out of the way, although some of the tiger barbs are able to outmuscle them.

Hi jaimoe :)

It never fails to surprise me at how little lfs employees know, even when it comes to such a popular and common fish as bronze corys. :rolleyes:

Do you plan to breed them? :dunno:

Inchworm u should work at a lfs, ud make a great employee

Hi Inchworm!

At this time, I do not plan on breeding them HOWEVER.........

I'm pretty sure that the first time I see some eggs on the side of the glass I will catch the bug. In fact, I've already had my eye on the perfect little spot to stick a ten gallon tank, you know, just in case. :lol:

I have decided not to shop at that stupid lfs any more they always have their fish labled wrong. :X I don't think they know much about their fish but they like to act like they do. Any way the cory cat ( Mr. Belvideer) is in with my aunts Angle fish tank. She promised me she would get him a friend. The lfs also faild to mention that they don't feel safe on their own :-( .

I'm glad you found a good place for Mr. Belvideer. :nod: He'll be so happy when he gets some friends to play with.

Watch him when they get added to the tank. They are always so happy when they see another of their kind join them. You'll be so glad you did. :thumbs:

Ok I have added two more cory cats in with the other one but they don't swim together they all hide except one. He swims around the tank and plays with the bubbles. Whats wrong with them? why wont the school together and play? :rolleyes:

I used to work at one. We're not all that bad. :p The guys who still work there are also far more knowledgable than the above LFS employees, although it doesn't take much to get above them apparently.

How are your cory doing now? :unsure: Sometimes it takes a little while for them to get settled in. If their health is good, it should happen. :nod:

Most reactions

Back