Cory Breeding

Blazer

Reaction score
Anyone ever tried Breeding a speies of Cory's?? j/w if it was even possible? This should make a good discusion, share any info you have!

~DAN :dunno:

I will be trying to breed my panda cories soon. I will use a 5.5g tank with sand at the bottom, using either AC Mini or AC150 as the filter (water current is absolutely essential). You need to condition them with either live or frozen food - in my case, it will be combination of hatched brine shrimps and frozen blood worms. Once females become fat enough, change a large colume of water, few degrees cooler than the tank water. From this point on, keep repeating this water change every few days until (hopefully) you start to see some spawning behavior.

Some species eat eggs, so it is a good idea to collect eggs as soon as you see them and raise them separately. Again, you will need hatched brine shrimps and in some cases, infusoria as food for 1week+ old fries.

Of course, all of this is theory... I need to see if it works... :lol:

Ya I was jsut wondering my dad told me it was rare and I read up on it and saw an article on panda's infact and like u said strong current, fattin female's up and water changes to get water Colder than ussual then turn lights off and at dawn they should spwan.....one thing i did read the female needs something smooth to put egg on like fake plant or stone of some sort........GOOD LUCK!

~DAN

In fact, most cories like to lay eggs on the glass surface (which I guess is smooth... ;) ).

Also, some cories are easier to trigger than others. I don't have the URL but some breeders use this fact by triggering the spawning for easier cories, then add water from that tank into the tank with more difficult species. Due to presence of hormones, even the more difficult species will start to spawn.

Again, none of the above represent my own experience - only reading.. ;)

If my parents would allow me to set up one of my other tanks ( I have many but jsut sitting in storage ) I would breed cory's also BUT I cant so I only read and hear from people like you. So please share your expereinces and ANY pictures for oen day I plan on trying to breed them.

~Dan ;)

I am currently breeding albino aeneus corys. From what I have read these are just a color "variant" of corydoras aeneus, which also includes green and bronze color morphs, therefore all three should be similar in breeding habits. I have had very good luck with these fish, they spawn on a fairly regular basis. As yhbae said, conditioning is key, then a large (cooling) water change will trigger a spawn. Mine lay eggs on the glass, I just remove the adults to another tank and use the spawning tank for a nursery. I am also trying to spawn pandas, and the other corys listed in my sig. My pandas have spawned twice, both times I never did see any eggs but found the fry later. Interesting theory on strong current, I had not heard that before. Do you have any links to information?Planet Catfish has been helpful to me, as has Inchworm, moderator here and resident cory guru. Good luck with your corys! :cool:

I know Pufferpack got a few of his corys to lay eggs, and he's got some great pictures on his website (I just noticed it the other day). Check out his site, it's really neat, although he said none survived (all the eggs were eaten, I believe he said).

If I could only set up my 20 or 10 gallon i would being breeding cories......I can t even get my parents to let me set it up in the Garage......argh, pain in but because i really want to. If I where to breed I think I would do Panda's. The reason he probly didnt see the eggs is because off all the Cory's Panda's have the smallest eggs and you would be lucky to see the eggs. If anyone has pictures please share.

~Dan

Blazer, I've got a piece of advice for you;

It's easier to beg forgiveness than to ask permission.

Just set it up anyway, and then when your parents don't like it, you can just say, "Well, it's set up already. I'm really sorry, I didn't know you'd be so mad. But look how cute these fish are?"

Just in case you wanted to try it (I was going to put an emoticon here, but I hate emoticons, and all these ones suck).

Lol....I wish things worked like that in my house. I may do some compromising but that wont work. Ill be taking it down and bringing fish to store by the end of the week. But im still working on it.

~Dan

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back