Cory And Gourami Questions...

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cWIVCdLOImw

Voila!

Wow, that video was so cool! :D Thanks Ninjouzata for sharing it! :)
And thanks the_lock_man for embedding it, and I'll definitely get 6 corys as I want them to be as happy as possible! :D

I'm also considering getting sterbai corys instead of the bronze's, and maybe even get the pleco instead of the snail... but I was wondering; do you think that it would be too crowded at the bottom of the tank? - I mean the pleco obviously gets pretty big, and the sterbai's are bigger than the bronze's...

Oh, and as far as the shoaling fish go, I've narrowed it down to 10 zebra danios or 10 cherry barbs. I think I'm leaning towards the barbs though.

Welcome, not sure on the rest of that but danios (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) like it a bit cooler than the other fish so I think I would go with the cherrys. :)

Ninjouzata said:
Welcome, not sure on the rest of that but danios (someone please correct me if I'm wrong) like it a bit cooler than the other fish so I think I would go with the cherrys.
smile.png

Correct! Danio's like it in the 18-23 degrees celcius range. Most tropical tanks are too warm for them to be happy.
I agree, the cherry's would be better. :)

disFUNctional said:

I'm also considering getting sterbai corys instead of the bronze's, and maybe even get the pleco instead of the snail... but I was wondering; do you think that it would be too crowded at the bottom of the tank? - I mean the pleco obviously gets pretty big, and the sterbai's are bigger than the bronze's...

I think you would still be great on bottom dweller space with 6 cories and a bn :)  They're a great size at 5-6" and mine gets along very with my millions of cories :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone your help has been REALLY AMAZING! :D
I'll definitely be getting the 6 sterbai corys, 10 cherry barbs, a pearl gourami, and probably the pleco (but I need to think about it a bit more yet). :D

So now I've just got to get my aunt to take my lovely goldies, research appropriate plants, give my tank a makeover, and get my fish! *Does happy dance* :D
So I'm presuming that I'll need to add the fish one species at a time? Is this true, or can I just get them all at once? - And if I do need to do it one at a time, should I do it in any particular order?

Make sure to cycle your new tank. The link for that is in my signature. If you keep some/all of your filter media from your Goldfish then you shouldn't have to cycle (just make sure the filter has a supply of ammonia and doesn't dry out).

If your tank is cycled to be able to process 3 ppm of ammonia then you could add your Sterbais and Barbs first then a month later add your Pearl and the Pleco. Just make sure to watch for spikes in ammonia/nitrite when you add the second lot of fish.

disFUNctional said:
Hahaha, Ninjouzata I'm glad that you could at least answer the fun questions. Your albino corys sound like a lot of fun!
biggrin.png

Thanks for telling me that they need protein in their diet... I know that they eat algae and like cooked zucchini, but I didn't know about that. And thanks for telling me about the Co2.
smile.png

Cories are generally 'scavengers' and eat protein primarily.  They are not algae eaters in the sense that plecos or otocinclus are, but instead are bottom feeders.  They really require 'sinking' food for their diet, in addition to any additional food for the top/mid swimmers that may sift down to the bottom.

Also, they snuffle their snouts into the substrate with their whiskers looking for food nearly constantly.  So, a sand substrate is preferred.

Most reactions

Back