Correct procedure for Quoting other people's comments

Colin_T

Fish Guru
Reaction score
This is just a bit of information for people that are new to forums. You can Quote other people's comments and then respond to the quote. To do this simply click the "Reply" button on the bottom right of the post that you want to quote. This will automatically copy the post and move it into the response box at the bottom of the thread. You can then type your response at the end of the quote after the [/QUOTE]

If you don't want to quote the entire post and only want to quote 1 or 2 sentences, then highlight the part you want to quote and click the "Reply" link under the part you highlighted. It will copy the highlighted comments and post them in the response box at the bottom of the thread. You can then type your response after the [/QUOTE]

You can repeat this process if you want to quote several statements, and you can post your response after each end quote. [/QUOTE]

Alternatively, you can click "Reply" and it will copy the entire post, and you can go through the quote and delete the unwanted bits. Then type your response after the end quote.

At the start of each quote should be something like the following.
[ QUOTE="Colin_T, post: 3804821, member: 38786"] .
The comments made by me will be written in here.
At the end of each quote is [/QUOTE ]
Then you type your response here after the end quote.

------------------------
The reason for doing quotes correctly is to help people follow the discussion and to minimise confusion. If someone puts their response in a quote, it can make the statement very confusing and this can lead to problems when it comes to helping resolve issues.

So please try to do quotes correctly and put your response after the quote, not in it.

Last edited:
Thank you! But then what is the " + Quote button by the reply button for? I guess I have been highlighting the part I want to quote, then after that highlight a + Quote button appears.

The +Quote button is an annoyance and should be ignored. That's right admin, I don't like it :)

It does the same thing as the reply button but puts the response in a small window. However, you have to click "Insert Quotes" to get the window to appear. The Insert Quotes button will appear at bottom left under where you type your response, after you click the +Quote button.

You are better off just using the "Reply" button, that's all I use.

If you highlight a part of the text you get the +quote box, hit that then select insert quote and only the highlighted text appears in the quote.

Thanks for the video NickAu. I have been doing the exact same thing for inserting quotes.

Most reactions

trending

Back