Correct 4dkh Solutino Receipe?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

nicklfire

Fishaholic
Reaction score
i'v seen so many different ways to make this stuff, does anyone have a good method to make 4dkh solutino?

You ran out quick. lol

You will need or at least this is what I bought:
Bicarbonate of Soda
5Ltr De-ionised water
1Ltr De-ionised water

Accurate measuring is the key.

The way I do it, through reading lots of threads is to measure accurately 6g of Bicarb (should be 5.99something but 6 is near enough for me)

Add this to 5 litres (measured again, don't trust the label on the bottle) De-ionised water.
You now have 5 litres of 40dKH solution

Measure (I do from here on with a syringe) 10ml of the 40dKH solution and add 90ml of fresh untouched deionised water.
You now have 100ml of 4dKH solution

You also have 4.999Ltr of 40dKH solution to repeat the process for the next 100 years.

Some people will argue with my 5.999something of Bicarb and tell you to bake it and use this amount and that amount to allow for removing any water it contains already, but I did read from various sources that this changes the bicarb into something else (I am not a chemist). They are free to do this after all it is all advice, but this is the way the solution I sent to you was mixed, as is the solution I use myself because it is from the same 40dKH.

Let me know if yours did work or not.

Andy

Ah yea i just deleted your email by accident lol, I was talking to VaughnH and this is what he said aswell:

The best way to make a 4 dKH standard solution is to start with a known certified standard KH solution. You can buy such solutions from chemistry supply places. The dilute it with distilled or DI water to get the 4 dKH you want. I think the formula for how much distilled water to add is:
volume of distilled water/ volume of known dKH water = (4 + known dKH)/ 4

Mess?

The 5 litre bit you do once in your life. lol

the 100ml bit only needs a measuring flask and a syringe, no mess

and I do it when the wifes gone to bed. lol

andy

I have to say after making mine up months ago i was unsure of its accuracy so i bought some from aquaessentials to settle my mind and found mine was almost 1 degree out ( low ) so i can now safely raise the co2 some more.

just buy it and relax.

Most reactions

trending

Back