Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

If that is true, how come china can't get a grip on it. They were the first to lock down, the first to mass vaccinate AND implement the qr code for tamper proof "verification" and they still lock down to this day at the first detection. Nobody gets in without being vaccinated, tested AND after a 2 week quarantine .
Well yah. But at least they are trying better than us... We can't seem to agree on anything. They are trying at least. The world has been going through this for almost over 2yrs, so technically I believe that we should already be over with this if we all just did a lock down for a while. Then boom. Possibly gone in under a month

Measles virus has been in people for centuries and lots of people are vaccinated against it. There are only a small number of cases and this reduces the chance of it mutating.

Covid19 is a new virus to humans and is being spread by millions of people every day. The more people that catch the virus, the more chance of it mutating.

Viruses can also hybridise with each other and that allows them to bypass vaccines. Corona viruses are very good at this and more likely to hybridise and mutate than other types of virus like the measles, mumps & chicken pox viruses.

The quickest way to stop covid19 would be a world wide lockdown where nobody goes outside for 2 weeks. The virus would not be spread and would die out. Unfortunately that won't happen due to people spreading it.

If that is true, how come China can't get a grip on it. They were the first to lock down, the first to mass vaccinate AND implement the qr code for tamper proof "verification" and they still lock down to this day at the first detection. Nobody gets in without being vaccinated, tested AND after a 2 week quarantine .
Because people don't stay indoors and go outside deliberately to do whatever (commit crimes, have intimate relations, etc).

The Chinese vaccine isn't as good as it could be. And all the current vaccines only work on the original and Delta strains of covid19 and do nothing to stop people catching or spreading the Omicron strains.

Omicron has mutated enough to bypass the vaccine. Omicron is also contagious for several days before you have any symptoms or show a positive reading for the virus. So doing lockdowns after someone has tested positive for Omicron is pointless because the virus has already spread.

If everyone around the world goes into a lockdown at the same time, and stays in it for 2 weeks, the virus could be stopped in its tracks. But some people won't stay inside their home for whatever reason, and they will spread the virus.

Well yah. But at least they are trying better than us... We can't seem to agree on anything. They are trying at least. The world has been going through this for almost over 2yrs, so technically I believe that we should already be over with this if we all just did a lock down for a while. Then boom. Possibly gone in under a month
Won't help. My birth country in south America was the first in the Americas to lock down. Hard. Nobody could go in or out, foreign tourists were stranded for months, people could not go out to shop for food, it was exactly what you're advocating for: a total lockdown, heavily enforced. People who died were cremated almost immediately (regardless of cause of death) you couldn't visit any family or friends, nothing, no free movement at all. To this day it has the worst death record and still high contagion numbers, although deaths have gone down just like everywhere else and there's no "emergency room collapse" or "burned out personnel" or "lack of supplies" anymore. And guess what, the draconian measures continue to this day. Nobody from outside the country can come in without being vaccinated AND going thru quarantine, and nobody can travel between regions without a shot certificate. You can't go to supermarkets without it, can't go to cinemas or other public spaces without it, most if not all workplaces won't hire you without it, can't go to your local bank without it, and a lot of places still have mask mandates indoor AND outdoors.

Won't help. My birth country in south America was the first in the Americas to lock down. Hard. Nobody could go in or out, foreign tourists were stranded for months, people could not go out to shop for food, it was exactly what you're advocating for: a total lockdown, heavily enforced. People who died were cremated almost immediately (regardless of cause of death) you couldn't visit any family or friends, nothing, no free movement at all. To this day it has the worst death record and still high contagion numbers, although deaths have gone down just like everywhere else and there's no "emergency room collapse" or "burned out personnel" or "lack of supplies" anymore. And guess what, the draconian measures continue to this day. Nobody from outside the country can come in without being vaccinated AND going thru quarantine, and nobody can travel between regions without a shot certificate. You can't go to supermarkets without it, can't go to cinemas or other public spaces without it, most if not all workplaces won't hire you without it, can't go to your local bank without it, and a lot of places still have mask mandates indoor AND outdoors.
Yah but I'm talking about the whole world doing it. Not just a small area. They would still be affected if it's a small area

Yah but I'm talking about the whole world doing it. Not just a small area. They would still be affected if it's a small area
My point is it's been tried in a controlled environment, it failed. It's being tried by one of the most heavy handed governments the world has ever seen. And it fails constantly. And you want the whole world to be locked up?

If you are high risk, with co-morbidities, take precautions. All others, especially children, live life normally, acquire natural immunity, do not get vaccinated, and carry on...

We have people coming over the US southern border everyday....many are not stopped. So they are not tested for covid And cases are rising again in the US.
Australia looks to be one of the worst countries for Covid cases based on cases/population at the moment.

Let's not veer into too political of a discussion though.

Won't help. My birth country in south America was the first in the Americas to lock down. Hard. Nobody could go in or out, foreign tourists were stranded for months, people could not go out to shop for food, it was exactly what you're advocating for: a total lockdown, heavily enforced.
But didn't Some of the South American countries get told by their leaders it was nothing to worry about and they didn't need a vaccine?

People would have still gone out and visited others. It happened here where we were in total lock downs except for 1 hour of exercise or urgent food/ medical care. I used to go out for a walk at night and there were people visiting each other all over the neighbourhood. There were even parties going on. People didn't care about the laws and even today they don't. We had compulsory mask laws for several months this year and everywhere I went, there were people without masks. On Monday I was at the dentist and it is still compulsory for people to wear masks at medical facilities and this includes dentists. But when I was there, a guy was sitting in the waiting room without a mask on.

People might say they are staying in and obeying the laws, but people lie.

-----------------
The reason death rates have dropped is because the Omicron strain has taken over and spreads more easily but has a lower kill rate.

But didn't Some of the South American countries get told by their leaders it was nothing to worry about and they didn't need a vaccine?

People would have still gone out and visited others. It happened here where we were in total lock downs except for 1 hour of exercise or urgent food/ medical care. I used to go out for a walk at night and there were people visiting each other all over the neighbourhood. There were even parties going on. People didn't care about the laws and even today they don't. We had compulsory mask laws for several months this year and everywhere I went, there were people without masks. On Monday I was at the dentist and it is still compulsory for people to wear masks at medical facilities and this includes dentists. But when I was there, a guy was sitting in the waiting room without a mask on.

People might say they are staying in and obeying the laws, but people lie.

-----------------
The reason death rates have dropped is because the Omicron strain has taken over and spreads more easily but has a lower kill rate.
I don't know about other countries except for mine, because I have first hand knowledge and direct accounts from friends and family who still live there. Like most of the world, people were ok at the start of this with 2 weeks. And yes, while some people might have slipped out for whatever reason, the point I keep trying to make is that you can't stop this, period. Two weeks turned to a month, to 2 months. After that some of the less docile people began to get tired, yet 2, nearly 3 years later some still will comply when asked or forced to. And believe me, when you have a compliant society and a state force not afraid and not unaccustomed to beating people into submission, you are going to get the results you want. It didn't work there, it's not working in China, and politics and idiosyncrasies aside, it won't work on a global scale. I think oblio put it best a few comments before: if you are at risk or feel like it, by all means get the shot, as many boosters as they make, and wear a mask everywhere you want, as long as you think you need. Don't force any of it unto others though, and expect backlash at some point if you keep doing it.

If that is true, how come china can't get a grip on it. They were the first to lock down, the first to mass vaccinate AND implement the qr code for tamper proof "verification" and they still lock down to this day at the first detection. Nobody gets in without being vaccinated, tested AND after a 2 week quarantine .
China was one of the first counties to produce d vaccine. However it has become apparent that its is not a very good one. So even though many in China have received the vaccine many still don't have immunity

Lockdowns were effective early in the pandemic partially because the virus was now and had a hard time spreading. However once the Delta variant appeared Lockdowns became much less effective. And now with Omacron variant they are not working. So all the measures China took early on (QR codes and lockdowns) only worked early in the pandemic.

Now that we know the China vaccine doesn't work most people in china have no immunity and now that lockdowns no longer work it is spearing very rapidly and is still very deadly since few have any immunity to it.

However in the US most of the population has been vaccinated or has already been infected. So most have some immunity. Also the newest versions of the Omacron virus is apparently less lethal. So in theUS now fewer people are dying even though there are still cases showing up in the hospital.It is still a concern in the US but things have improved enough that things are slowly returning to normal.

I'm just going to keep wearing my mask and I'm going to keep getting the booster shots. I already lost one family member to it and have plenty of immune compromised friends and family. I'm not risking losing anymore.

I'm just going to keep wearing my mask and I'm going to keep getting the booster shots. I already lost one family member to it and have plenty of immune compromised friends and family. I'm not risking losing anymore.
So sorry for your loss :(

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back