Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Here in the US, cases are averaging over 100,000 per day with as many as 1000 deaths per day. And it looks to be getting worse before it gets any better.
Our government in the uk likes to put out figures like that without any evidence and we all believe it

Our government in the uk likes to put out figures like that without any evidence and we all believe it
Why would governments make stuff up. The figures they come up with are what they report to the WHO, part of the countries obligation under the international conventions regulations.

Why would governments make stuff up. The figures they come up with are what they report to the WHO, part of the countries obligation under the international conventions regulations.
Because the government never fabricated anything do they ? Lol I donā€™t trust a word they say, just my opinion, and I wonā€™t be taking this new vacation the uk have just bought 30 million of

Because the government never fabricated anything do they ? Lol I donā€™t trust a word they say, just my opinion, and I wonā€™t be taking this new vacation the uk have just bought 30 million of
That's good and if you get covid- 19 you won't be going into a hospital either.

I don't think it's a world-wide government conspiracy, because so many governments would have to be in on it, the same governments that otherwise can't agree on the color of pink lemonade. It just doesn't seem that likely.

I do get disgusted at the way both major political parties in our country spin the data to their own best advantage. I strongly suspect this is happening in other countries, as well.

I also think it is entirely possible, even likely, that history will look back at this and say everybody over-reacted. But until I know that for sure, it seems most reasonable to go with the opinions of the people that have an "M" and a "D" after their name. I have been told by several local doctors, people I know and trust personally, that this is worth taking very seriously, and that masks/distancing are our best bet for slowing it down until a medical breakthrough is made. So, until they tell me otherwise, I will continue to go through the life-crushing hardship* of putting a little piece of cloth over my face when I have to be around other people. I will endure somehow.

*For those who might not understand sarcasm, this is sarcasm.

Here in the uk a nhs nurse has taken photos of case numbers from 3 hospitals yeah they are not in major cities but the numbers do not reflect on what the government is saying , we have been put back in lockdown yet I can still go to work and my children can still go to school , we no longer live in a democracy, we are all living in a dictatorship made of fear , and I personally hve had enough , we keep being told follow the rules or you will be fined or prosecuted, all tht comes to mind is get a grip
Its all about tiny %s. People mix where itā€™s essential to mix. Where itā€™s not essential they donā€™t. Thus less chance of infections being passed on. Itā€™s really not difficult to understand.

On the issue of "view the other side of the coin"...

Here are two articles from nature.com, the first, dated 02 APRIL 2020, Is the coronavirus airborne? Experts canā€™t agree and the second one, dated 08 JULY 2020, Mounting evidence suggests coronavirus is airborne ā€” but health advice has not caught up

Read them and you may discover, they talk about both sides of the issue. I am very grateful to the Brits for giving us Nature.com and CAMRA, I love English bitters!

Note: CAMRA = Campaign for Real Ale

well said.

btw
CAMRA HQ is in the town I live in. Id struggle to drink bitters even if paid. Three parts liquidised goat droppings + 16 fl oz of crushed spiders + one part badger fur + one part frog flem, serve at room temp. Yuk.
Gimme Guinness or a German/ Czech Pilsner any day. Better drink as much as possible as theyll be more expensive come Jan 1st.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a world-wide government conspiracy, because so many governments would have to be in on it, the same governments that otherwise can't agree on the color of pink lemonade. It just doesn't seem that likely.

I do get disgusted at the way both major political parties in our country spin the data to their own best advantage. I strongly suspect this is happening in other countries, as well.

I also think it is entirely possible, even likely, that history will look back at this and say everybody over-reacted. But until I know that for sure, it seems most reasonable to go with the opinions of the people that have an "M" and a "D" after their name. I have been told by several local doctors, people I know and trust personally, that this is worth taking very seriously, and that masks/distancing are our best bet for slowing it down until a medical breakthrough is made. So, until they tell me otherwise, I will continue to go through the life-crushing hardship* of putting a little piece of cloth over my face when I have to be around other people. I will endure somehow.

*For those who might not understand sarcasm, this is sarcasm.
Oh we do sarcasm over here Donā€™t worry about that.

Kansas just became a "hot spot" in the nation - we've had relatively few cases until now. I have been a virtual hermit for months. I wear a mask when somebody knocks on the door. Schools are back open just in time for all those kids to get sick and bring it back home to Grandma. I'm super high risk. I have "end-stage" COPD with a FEV1 of 20% of that of a normal person of my size and age. I'm on oxygen 24/7 - my O2 stats fall into the 50% level if I leave my oxygen off. Last time my concentrator broke and I was at 60% before I knew what hit me - didn't have the air to go get one of my supplemental tanks and called 911. It took them so long to get there (I live in a strange address) I had suffered a mild heart attack due to lack of oxygen (they did a cardiac cath and my veins are all "beutiful", the electrocardiogram caught the minor damage to my left ventrical due to the hypoxia I went through. I tell you I have so much sympathy for fish because of this disease - I understand their panic if removed from the water even temporarily.

I lost most of my lung function after having H1N1 flu 5 yrs ago - prior to that I could walk a mile, I wasn't on O2. At 20% if I get a significant case of COVID I'm likely to be placed on a ventilator - which can also be terrifying. I will likely die as well - it's hard to compensate with only 20% lung function. I have my groceries and RX;s delivered - unless they need to do an exam, most of my Dr's are quite happy to discuss test results via teleconference so I don't have to go into their office - of course I still have lab tests (I'm immune deficient and have hyperthyroidism among other fun things).

Now that the pandemic has reached Kansas and all it's neighboring states I'm terrified of catching it. I have a living will but need to make out a regular will (my daughter is my sole heir so that makes it easy) but I do want some money to go to various friends and family members that could usse a slight boost up plus I want to give money to the bird sanctuary where my dear parrot now resides.

So what do do with my fish? Nobody in my family wants all the work and I admit i have some stunning fish I would hate to see "thrown out" - stunning or not they don't deserve death. . Craigslist is not safe here for women - too many robberies and rapes have occurred. I have invested several thousand dollars in these fish and tanks and now they area basically worthless.
Thatā€™s a tough read. Take care. Would the places you got your fish from not take/buy them back? Best of luck. Stay safe and be strong.

No one believes a word this govt says, not even its own party members. But youā€™ve got the wrong end of the stick totally. This govt have under reacted to C19. Theyā€™ve been slow off the mark and half hearted in everything theyā€™ve done. Which has allowed theories like yours to fester.

My home test kit arrived this afternoon.
Iā€™m in a weird situation in that the main indicators the U.K. govt advise to look for are a problem for me anyway. Taste and smell have been almost nonexistent since my second op for nasal polyps years ago. Iā€™ve had a permanent small cough for decades that chest X-rays throw no light on other than to tell me Im asthmatic.
Iā€™ve been a bit wheezy lately and short of breath especially while jogging but that may be to the extreme damp weather here at the moment plus the coughs gotten a lot worse so better safe than sorry.
Had a couple of nights away on the south coast last week. First time more than a couple of miles from home since March....we just had to get out somewhere. Hope thatā€™s not the cause.
Personally I think Iā€™m ok but MrsLurch wants proof.
Stay safe everyone and donā€™t let the covidiots grind you down.
Test negative btw.

No one believes a word this govt says, not even its own party members. But youā€™ve got the wrong end of the stick totally. This govt have under reacted to C19. Theyā€™ve been slow off the mark and half hearted in everything theyā€™ve done. Which has allowed theories like yours to fester.
My point is tht lockdown is a joke Iā€™m not a key worker I work in the building sector , which isnā€™t key in a pandemic but it creates a lot of revenue for the uk economic development so hence I can work with no social distance because low states I donā€™t have to lift over 25kg , yet others are safe guarded ...... from what I have had no shielding thru it all been in conch with people from all over Europe and had no sickness , I trust what I see and what people I trust see and from that I say jog on Covid

Kansas just became a "hot spot" in the nation - we've had relatively few cases until now. I have been a virtual hermit for months. I wear a mask when somebody knocks on the door. Schools are back open just in time for all those kids to get sick and bring it back home to Grandma. I'm super high risk. I have "end-stage" COPD with a FEV1 of 20% of that of a normal person of my size and age. I'm on oxygen 24/7 - my O2 stats fall into the 50% level if I leave my oxygen off. Last time my concentrator broke and I was at 60% before I knew what hit me - didn't have the air to go get one of my supplemental tanks and called 911. It took them so long to get there (I live in a strange address) I had suffered a mild heart attack due to lack of oxygen (they did a cardiac cath and my veins are all "beutiful", the electrocardiogram caught the minor damage to my left ventrical due to the hypoxia I went through. I tell you I have so much sympathy for fish because of this disease - I understand their panic if removed from the water even temporarily.

I lost most of my lung function after having H1N1 flu 5 yrs ago - prior to that I could walk a mile, I wasn't on O2. At 20% if I get a significant case of COVID I'm likely to be placed on a ventilator - which can also be terrifying. I will likely die as well - it's hard to compensate with only 20% lung function. I have my groceries and RX;s delivered - unless they need to do an exam, most of my Dr's are quite happy to discuss test results via teleconference so I don't have to go into their office - of course I still have lab tests (I'm immune deficient and have hyperthyroidism among other fun things).

Now that the pandemic has reached Kansas and all it's neighboring states I'm terrified of catching it. I have a living will but need to make out a regular will (my daughter is my sole heir so that makes it easy) but I do want some money to go to various friends and family members that could usse a slight boost up plus I want to give money to the bird sanctuary where my dear parrot now resides.

So what do do with my fish? Nobody in my family wants all the work and I admit i have some stunning fish I would hate to see "thrown out" - stunning or not they don't deserve death. . Craigslist is not safe here for women - too many robberies and rapes have occurred. I have invested several thousand dollars in these fish and tanks and now they area basically worthless.
Stay safe Jan. You and your fish will be ok, just enjoy them :)

My point is tht lockdown is a joke Iā€™m not a key worker I work in the building sector , which isnā€™t key in a pandemic but it creates a lot of revenue for the uk economic development so hence I can work with no social distance because low states I donā€™t have to lift over 25kg , yet others are safe guarded ...... from what I have had no shielding thru it all been in conch with people from all over Europe and had no sickness , I trust what I see and what people I trust see and from that I say jog on Covid
Iā€™m struggling to understand your post and point tbh.
You may be one of the lucky ones who show no symptoms. You may not have come into contact with it BECAUSE of lockdown and social distancing. Surely you can ā€œseeā€ that?
In March the two miserable looking fellers either side of Johnson told the U.K. govt they were looking at 50,000 dead with lockdown and 250,000 without it. Weā€™re still short of 50,000 thankfully though for how much longer if grown adults say ā€œjog on covidā€ I donā€™t know.
Shame thereā€™s no ignore button on this forum.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back