Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

Even if everyone followed this advice, it isnā€™t clear whether widespread use of face masks would have a significant impact on the spread of the virus.

Arizona had rapid spread of the virus . After they implemented mandatory mask order new cases dropped by 75%. doctors have been using masks for 100 years to protect themselves as well as patients. Face masks were widely used during the spanish flu pandemic and in many places mask were mandatory. The best ones blocking the virus are N95 and KN95 masks Many doctors and nurses have been using N95 masks since the start of the pandemic and many are still alive and working. despite being constantly exposed to the virus at work. While they are not100% effective the only thing better is a space suit.

Home portable HEPA filters can constantly filter out all types of viruses in the air.

Last edited:
Well people in Western Australia aren't social distancing or staying home when sick. I had to go to the post office to get some mail and the lady who served me was coughing into her hand and then continued to serve me. She didn't cough into her arm or shoulder, she coughed into her hand and then handed me my mail with that hand. She also licked her fingers when flicking through the mail. Needless to say, I went straight out to the car and disinfected my hands.

I've had a cough and sore throat for the last couple of weeks. I was at the shops a few weeks ago and 2 days later I had a sore throat and cough. A few weeks ago at the shops, a woman and her son (he was primary school aged) came over and stood on either side of me when I was looking in the freezer. I told them to get away from me but they didn't. And I had a staff member punch in some numbers on the self serve check out I was using. They were the only people I have been near in weeks and none of them had any cough so I don't know where I got mine from.

I don't know why people complain about wearing a mask. The argument that there isn't any evidence that it helps is negligible, because it works in the reverse. Get over it lol, what are you, 6? I mean come on, if I can workout in one you can put one on in the grocery store. What is happening to peoples common sense.

Ye Colin, you could get one of the mail tests perhaps. Could also be strep, or some other form of allergies.

I am getting pretty tired of the masks. In fact I downright hate them. Singing in them is a bummer. But yeah. People here in Wyoming (where we pride ourselves on being tougher than average) whine about it like it's some huge infringement on their civil liberties. What it is is a major inconvenience and just another way to engage in self-righteous, us-vs.-them, I-know-the-truth-and-you-are-sheeple stupidity.

It seems like nobody's 100% sure how effective they are, because this disease hasn't been around long enough for the proper studies to have been done. The medical community is making educated guesses, and that's about all we have to go on.

In the mean time, all the people I know who have an M and a D after their names tell me that masks and distancing are still our best bet for slowing this thing down. (Yes, there are a few outliers who say otherwise, but I'm going to go with the overall consensus on this one) It's a moot point for me because I'm required by law to wear one at work, so I do. But even when I go to the grocery store, I wear one because it's the considerate thing to do.

I am getting pretty tired of the masks. In fact I downright hate them. Singing in them is a bummer. But yeah. People here in Wyoming (where we pride ourselves on being tougher than average) whine about it like it's some huge infringement on their civil liberties. What it is is a major inconvenience and just another way to engage in self-righteous, us-vs.-them, I-know-the-truth-and-you-are-sheeple stupidity.

It seems like nobody's 100% sure how effective they are, because this disease hasn't been around long enough for the proper studies to have been done. The medical community is making educated guesses, and that's about all we have to go on.

In the mean time, all the people I know who have an M and a D after their names tell me that masks and distancing are still our best bet for slowing this thing down. (Yes, there are a few outliers who say otherwise, but I'm going to go with the overall consensus on this one) It's a moot point for me because I'm required by law to wear one at work, so I do. But even when I go to the grocery store, I wear one because it's the considerate thing to do.
Here singers are allowed to perform behind a full height screen.

Too many variables concerning masks. My wife is a nurse and had to get fitted and tested for a N95 mask, how well it fits on your face is a major factor. What works for you may not work on another person. But below is a Nature article that may be of interest to you.

Face masks: what the data say

Well people in Western Australia aren't social distancing or staying home when sick. I had to go to the post office to get some mail and the lady who served me was coughing into her hand and then continued to serve me. She didn't cough into her arm or shoulder, she coughed into her hand and then handed me my mail with that hand. She also licked her fingers when flicking through the mail. Needless to say, I went straight out to the car and disinfected my hands.

I've had a cough and sore throat for the last couple of weeks. I was at the shops a few weeks ago and 2 days later I had a sore throat and cough. A few weeks ago at the shops, a woman and her son (he was primary school aged) came over and stood on either side of me when I was looking in the freezer. I told them to get away from me but they didn't. And I had a staff member punch in some numbers on the self serve check out I was using. They were the only people I have been near in weeks and none of them had any cough so I don't know where I got mine from.

You sound totally paranoid and Covid-Crazy.

You had a cough and a sore throat, so what?

no. the doctors here are incompetent and the cough is gone. the sore throat is still there a bit but much better than it was. if I had covid, it was a minor case and I spent at least 2 weeks in the house so haven't contributed to its spread.

You sound totally paranoid and Covid-Crazy.

You had a cough and a sore throat, so what?
You join a fish keeping forum because you are allegedly thinking of buying a fish and then use it as a platform to evangalise your beliefs. 40% of your posts are in this thread.
I'm not sure that qualifies you to start insulting long standing members.

Cough and sore throat are symptoms of an illness that has poor outcomes for older adults, especially those with preexisting health conditions. It's not paranoid. It's sensible.

Glad the cough is gone @Colin_T & it was a passing bug.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back