Coronavirus...post your thoughts here...

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Can't argue with that. The biggest threat to the planet is that there are too many people on it. We constantly seek ways to extend life, produce more people and induce them to spend more money. Money comes before the environment. Interesting piece on telly about why electric cars were bad and it was so important to get the oil industry going because of all the jobs it would save in Texas. New ways of doing things will create jobs, not cost them. Those stirring up the fear are those that would lose the obscene amounts of money they make. It has nothing to do with saving the jobs of ordinary people, its all about protecting and increasing the wealth of the wealthy.

Did you see the Attenborough programme on extiction? Its quite staggering how many species of plants and insects have become extinct in our own generation, and the rate at which the natural part of the planet is reducing.

It's definitely the over consumption that'll destroy us.

Can't argue with that. The biggest threat to the planet is that there are too many people on it. We constantly seek ways to extend life, produce more people and induce them to spend more money. Money comes before the environment. Interesting piece on telly about why electric cars were bad and it was so important to get the oil industry going because of all the jobs it would save in Texas. New ways of doing things will create jobs, not cost them. Those stirring up the fear are those that would lose the obscene amounts of money they make. It has nothing to do with saving the jobs of ordinary people, its all about protecting and increasing the wealth of the wealthy.

Did you see the Attenborough programme on extiction? Its quite staggering how many species of plants and insects have become extinct in our own generation, and the rate at which the natural part of the planet is reducing.

My son-in-law worked as an “ordinary person”. He worked the oil rigs for decades. Now laid off with a wife and 3 children. Don’t even try to tell me that it’s not about “ordinary people”! They are fighting tooth and nail not to lose everything. It sickens me. I’m sorry.

Last edited:
I think that comment was more about how decisions made are about protecting profits of huge corporations above protecting lives & livelihoods.

I live in Texas and yes, oil fuels our state. There are a lot of Texans that have lost jobs due to less refining. The comment may have been made about big corporations but it dwindles down to the little man. Who do you think risks their lives to pump that oil out to fuel your cars and heat your homes? It not the big corporates, it’s the all American roughneck!

My son-in-law worked as an “ordinary person”. He worked the oil rigs for decades. Now laid off with a wife and 3 children. Don’t even try to tell me that it’s not about “ordinary people”! They are fighting tooth and nail not to lose everything. It sickens me. I’m sorry.
I think that comment was more about how decisions made are about protecting profits of huge corporations above protecting lives & livelihoods.
I really do sympathise with those who have lost jobs - in many industries, not just oil production.
I also sympathise with all those who have already lost everything due to fire, flood and famine brought on by humanity's destruction of the planet.

But the man on the telly talking about saving jobs didn't actually give a whotsit about the American redneck. He was far more concerned about whether or not he could go ahead with upgrading his personal lear jet, and that worker is just a consumable in his eyes. And if he could find a way of switching that consumable to one that cost half the price (say a migrant worker from a 3rd world country, or a machine), he would do so in a heartbeat.

That's why I believe firmly in the importance of Just Transition. We must make big & crucial changes to how we live, the resources we use & how we interact with & support of environment. That has to happen in a way that impacts the big polluters, but without causing further poverty & depravation.

Personally, I don’t think we’ll be here that much longer. At least not on the earth as we know it today.

Interesting piece on telly about why electric cars were bad and it was so important to get the oil industry going because of all the jobs it would save in Texas.

There is a giant problem looming with electric car batteries once they are used beyond usefulness for the power output a car needs.

There is a giant problem looming with electric car batteries once they are used beyond usefulness for the power output a car needs.

We also had a big problem with taste lead acid batteries. We solved it by recycling them into new batteries. The same thing is happening today with lithium batteries.

Right now we don't have a lot of lithium recycling plants because the batteries and to last a lot longer than lead batteries and it is still a relatively new technology. So for now most battiest are simply stored until there are enough to justify the construction of a recycling plant.

Currently tesla car batteries are generally doing fine up to 200,000 miles and a growing number are passing 300,000 miles. So most of the batteries tesla has made are still in use.

What is rather scary is that I have been working from home 100% of the time since well before the original lockdown.
I have also been overly cautious (some would say excessively) since seeing how badly my daughter was affected.
In spite of all that I have managed to catch a cold. It is just a cold, but the common cold is a corona virus. And in over 100 years we have not found a way to cure the common cold or stop it from spreading!

What is rather scary is that I have been working from home 100% of the time since well before the original lockdown.
I have also been overly cautious (some would say excessively) since seeing how badly my daughter was affected.
In spite of all that I have managed to catch a cold. It is just a cold, but the common cold is a corona virus. And in over 100 years we have not found a way to cure the common cold or stop it from spreading!

Thats the scary thing, if big pharma could make a cure for common cols they'd make a fortune, they probably tried and failed so gave up.

Lets have a theoretical quiz here to see how much someone would pay for a common cold cure. I set bar at £300 max (you can buy a lot of lemsip and tissue paper for £300 lol).

Now the last I heard it cost a pharmaceutical £800m to create a new drug. Caveat:That figure is questionable because big pharma like to exagerate the cost of making a drug because they want to justify the cost they sell it at whee it gets to market.

This says as of 2018 the UK had 52.4m adults over the age of 18

So 54.4m x £300 = £16,320,000,000 gross minus original investment of £800m = net profit of £15,520,000,000

Today after online classes me and a few of my friends jumped into a call while doing homework, while in this call one of the people in the call(not my freind because he’s always been a jerk, but my freinds like him so whatever, I’ll refer to him as bob) says that we should all go to one of the other people in the calls house and just hang out because after school we use to all play basketball before COVID. I say no but the others say okay. One of them though is hesitant and bob asks why he’s being slow to answer, I then say “maybe because of COVID” bob responds with “COVIDs over” I then called him a idiot and started researching this
D5D9D3FA-A598-4114-80AD-166308A88E4D.jpeg

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back