Cories Or Killifish?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

marnold00

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
Hey all,

Ive got a 17 US gal long tank. Water params are pH 7.3, GH and KH both 6-8degrees. Water temperature is 77 Fahrenheit

Its currently stocked with 7 cherry barbs, and following advice on here i was going to add some cories. However, when in the store picking up my RO water i saw two breeds of killifish Fundulopanchax gardneri and Aphyosemion australe. Now i know i cant get a male and female of one of these AND my cories, but how does it sound getting a pair of one of these instead of my cories? Would they eat the cherry barbs?

I have plenty of floating plants on top and a slight current going the length of the tank to try and replicate the cherry barbs' slow flowing streams.

If you could also take into account the benefits of cories (stirring up the substrate which allows for more crud to be filtered and their low bioload to name two) and the difficulties in feeding killifish that would be great :)

I find my cherry barbs use the whole water column... Eating bits off the substrate all the way to being nearer the surface

Could you give us the dimensions of your tank and some info on your water (pH and hardness), please?

fluttermoth said:
Could you give us the dimensions of your tank and some info on your water (pH and hardness), please?
The pH and hardness are at the top. Dimensions are 60cm long 30cm deep 35cm high = 64-65l. The tank also has a secure lid with netting covering the holes for wires. I fill the tank up leaving 1cm from the top.

I use a fine sajd substrate and i also have some bogwood which helps to give a blackwater effect. I also have a decent amount of plants and 1 third of the surface is covered with salvinia and amazon frogbit, but that will grow

Cherry barb stocking is 6 males 1 female (long story). The addition of some more plants and stuff has calmed them all down and they barely pester the female now like they did with the one which they pestered to death :( we couldnt sex them in the store.

The plan is to take the female to the LFS if she starts having a rough time and just stay with 6 males, but for now as said she isnt pestered.

Male cherries are significantly smaller than females, so you can take that in to account with stocking levels.
Also i must add that the cherries have only been in 3 weeks (following a full fishless cycle) and no more fish will be added until November at the earliest

I would not add killifsh to this tank.  Without the barbs, fine, but not both.  Your barbs are taking care of the upper space.  Besides, killifish are somewhat different from the run of the mill fish like tetras, barbs, etc.

Byron said:
I would not add killifsh to this tank.  Without the barbs, fine, but not both.  Your barbs are taking care of the upper space.  Besides, killifish are somewhat different from the run of the mill fish like tetras, barbs, etc.
I thought that would be the case, but my research didnt provide many answers... So many yes's and so many nopes so i thought i'd ask here.

They seem like a very interesting fish :) maybe one for the future :) or if my MTS kicks in and the cherry barbs move tank.

Ive found so many fish that have interested me recently... Rams (bolivian, german, blue), apistos, kribs, and now killifish :) whilst zero are suitable for my tank, theres definitely potential for a great tank in the future without it being huge

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back