Coral Of The Week - Duncans

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
Not got a pic, you know me and pics :lol:

ths coral is very hardy though. Grows like a weed too if you feed regular. Eats most meaty foods.

here is a pic of my Duncan, I haven't had it very long so I cant say anything about its growth yet, but it likes moderate to light water flow and medium to high lighting. I target feed mine brine shrimp every two to three days and it is so far, thriving.

6919_1251738135354_1286527515_30751580_7009368_n.jpg

Its rather interesting that this still seems to be a coral that has not had a huge amount written about it and in some parts of the world is considered a rarity.

Info taken from:

Eric Bourneman - Corals, selection, husbandry and natural selection

Its natural location muddy substrates or shadowy locations in tubid waters

Colours are normally green, blue-gray or brownish

Care in our tanks: Apparently hardy, (however I have read numerous posts to the contrary) and adaptive to most light conditions. Require gentle flow. Duncans contain zooxanthellae but require feeding for maximum health and growth.

Where are they found: Australia, Papua New Guinea and indonesia

Seffie x

Shelaghfishface, down the bottom of that last picture you posted there are some very small bright green zoa looking polyps?
I have some of those that came with my live rock and I have no idea what they are or what they require, do you know what they are?

eerrm. they are Zoas- but no idea of variety, ill ask the guy that gave them too me and get back to you :)
maybe someone here knows, they are really illuminous green when under blue lights

couple couple of pictures of my Duncan frag i bought at the weekend. Been after one for a while know and i found this a knights aquatics.

within 15-30 mins of it going in it was open.

P1040527.jpg

P1040530.jpg

Here's a shot of my pink duncan
pinkduncans.jpg

Once established, the polyps really extend a good 3-4 inches. I feed it mysis and enriched brine twice a week. Sometimes i'll chop up uncooked shrimp to give it as well.

One thing to add is they are very temperamental and sometimes will close up or look sickly for a few days at a time. Most often, waiting it out is all that is needed to get the coral back to new (assuming your params are all good)

I like the look of these anyone got any more pics of their Duncans?

They are a bit more challenging than most corals due to them needing to be target fed.

Very easy to keep! They pick out food from the water column and are photosynthetic so no real need to feed. They req t5 lights or more

They grow at an excellerated rate if you feed them.

I'll take some pics of my frag that started as two heads and is now 3.5 soon.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back