Convincing parents for a budgie?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
šŸ¶ POTM Poll is Open! šŸ¦Ž Click here to Vote! šŸ°
Thank you so much everyone for all the advice and helpful tips, I will try some of those thank you!

As iā€™m only 14 and already have a dog and a lot of fish. My parents donā€™t like the thought of getting another pet. Although I would pay for EVERYTHING and they wouldnā€™t have to lift a finger or pay a penny. I just donā€™t know how to convince them šŸ˜• Any ideas?
I had a really talkative budgie some years ago. He broke his leg and I put a Swan Vestas match on as a split. You should have seen his face light up. Just before the rest of him did when he walked onto the sandpaper

I honestly donā€™t plan on going to college as iā€™m already starting up a small business as a horse trainer. And my best friend owns a zoo, and I work there in my free time with a bunch of exotic animals including birds. Yes I would get two and they would have a lot of time out of the cage as iā€™m homeschooled so iā€™m almost always home and my dog tends to leave other animals alone but if for some reason he didnā€™t I would separate them right away. And yes, I understand the care requirements of budgies.
Wow, that's super cool! A zoo? Goodluck if you do end up getting budgies, I'm sure you'll love it. Horses are amazing animals as well, do you ride?

Wow, that's super cool! A zoo? Goodluck if you do end up getting budgies, I'm sure you'll love it. Horses are amazing animals as well, do you ride?
Thank you! Yes. Her grandma I should say owns the zoo, but I work there lol and yes Iā€™m a hunter jumper

Don't nag, if they say no leave it. Do really well with your work/school and chores and give it a few years. It may suck waiting but it will probably be worth it. Give it another shot after a few years, and tell them to think about it and you don't want an answer right away.

I could never get birds because my mom is allergic otherwise we would have them as my dad loves birds. We cant have dogs or cats either as the family is allergic.

I always get what I want. I pick feasible things and work my butt off in some cases (or sacrifice other things) to afford them, make room, or prove I'm responsible enough. As with you, my parents pay for nothing.

I have nagged too but I find everything works out better if you avoid that. It's stressful and takes way longer IF it works... Be responsible. Give it time.

I have 2 aquariums, 2 leopard geckos, 3 hermit crabs, and recently an ND goat that lives on our hobby ND and duck farm. We also have ducks which are practically mine.

Definitely resurrected this ole thread, lol.
This old thread deserves resurrection. Anyone who even remotely thinks that they should have a parakeet should go get one. I want one so bad but "She Who Must Be Obeyed" has dug in her heels and forbids it. I have a way of being annoying , however , and I will eventually win the day.
Edit : Almost forgot the Bearded Dragon that I want but that's a different thread.

I had one when I was a kid. Just go get him and don't tell them. That's what I did. They'll be mad for a couple days but they won't make you get rid of him.
Note: I can already hear the howl over this advice. Put your milk bottle down.
I can tell you what, if I brought home a canary behind my parent's backs it would go. Just because you did it or it can be done once in a while, does not mean it's a good idea. (Unless you can explain to me why it would be?) That's completely irresponsible and childish. Just as dumb as a 2-year-old sneaking a little cookie. This advice is only going to get some kid in trouble or kicked out of the forum. (I can hear it now..."A member of my forum told me it would work and be a good idea mom and dad.") An animal should ALWAYS be discussed with your parents if you are still living with them and supplies and plans for this animal should be prepped in advance. They are not toys, they are new (and permanent I hope) members of the family. When you get your own house, you can make your own rules. My parents have their reasons and I am sure others do too.

An unknown allergy? The noise? Lack of space? Phobia of the animal? Health risks such as salmonella? A "waste" of money and time on their or the child's part? Maybe its simply just the fact they don't think more animals would be beneficial in any way.

Whether we like it or not, we should follow our parent's guidance. They were put there for a reason, and most (not all of course) know a lot more than we do and are looking out for what they think to be in our best interest. It's absolutely ridiculous to go behind their back.

Anyways, if someone really wants one and it's not just an impulse or non permanent buying decision then they can wait until they move out.

BTW I am not being sarcastic or anything, I'm just stating my opinion. :cool:

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back